Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with LWD barrel in G35...help please

jimmy1

My friend and I both bought LWD barrels and we are both having the same problem, we bought our barrels at different times (about 3 months apart) but tested them at the same time. We thing that the chamber is to tight. We start firing with a clean barrel and things go ok once the chamber is dirty (i am assuming that this is the problem) the gun with not completly feed and the bullet is probably 5mm from being seated in the chamber causing the gun to be slightly out of battery, if we bang on the rear of the slide most of the it will be force all the way in, sometimes this does not work. We are both shooting G35's that have all new stock parts in them. PLEASE HELP. What are my options?

Thanks for any help.

I also run the undersize die, but I wonder if your problem isn't the bullet getting jammed into the rifling. I had to use a throating reamer on a barrel for my SA 1911 due to the problem like yours. Do you case gauge your ammo? If not, that might help find the problem. Using the barrel itself might also work. You might try some different bullets or ammo to help figure out the problem. It's possible the bullets you are currently using just might not work in your gun. How many rounds are you getting in before the gun starts to hang up?

• 2 weeks later...
My friend and I both bought LWD barrels and we are both having the same problem, we bought our barrels at different times (about 3 months apart) but tested them at the same time. We thing that the chamber is to tight. We start firing with a clean barrel and things go ok once the chamber is dirty (i am assuming that this is the problem) the gun with not completly feed and the bullet is probably 5mm from being seated in the chamber causing the gun to be slightly out of battery, if we bang on the rear of the slide most of the it will be force all the way in, sometimes this does not work. We are both shooting G35's that have all new stock parts in them. PLEASE HELP. What are my options?

Thanks for any help.

I went though this as well. I use BC molly 180g FN bullets. This is what I did.

I found the the Dillon case guage will pass rounds that will fit tight in the LWD barrel. I will come back to this in a minute.

I use once fired mixed brass which are mostly "Glocked" brass. I also use a lot of match pick up brass so I know there are some funky pieces of brass in the mix from other guns. The Dillon sizing die does not size Glocked brass enough for the LWD barrel.

I ended up having to set up my Dillon 550 press with the following dies (I originally started with all Dillons):

EGW U Die

Dillon powder

Dillon seating

Lee FCD

I changed my case OAL from 1.135 to 1.120 - This gets me 174 PF with 4 grains of TG.

I set up the Lee FCD to 1 full turn. If you have this die and have read the instuctions you will know what I am talking about. I have found that in my case more crimp was better.

I case guage (hand chamber with barrel removed from the gun) every round with the LWD barrel.

*If I push a round in the barrel and it freely falls out, this is great. You want this.

*If I push a round in the barrel, goes in easy but I have to pull a little to get it out. This passes. If I have to pull hard to get it out then I will run it back through the FCD only one more time. This usually make it better.

*If I push a round in the barrel and I have to force it in, I reject this round and use it for practice. I will run these throught the FCD die only one more time. Sometimes that make these chamber better. Most of these fire OK but I had a few jams with them so I won't use them for matches.

*If I push the round in the barrel and the back of the case is sticking out of the chamber (very little is OK), I will reject the round to the practice bin.

If you are getting a bunch of rejects you may want to turn the FCD die a hair more.

I usually will have at least on average 2-3 rejects "practice ammo" per 100.

I had no ammo related issues during a match in the last 4 months since doing this process and using the LWD barrel. Probably have about 4000 rounds fired using this method.

I created a thread on my ammo issues back in June. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=49436&hl= The measurements are a little high in that thread. I was not using a digital scale and precise caliper back then.

Anyway, take this for what it is worth. As you can tell I have a slight case of OCD but this works for me.

**Please use reloading information as a reference only.

Edited by PLINK

Thanks for any help.

Has the brass you were using been fired in a factory Glock barrel? The 1 failure to feed I have had with my LWD barrel was because the case had been fired in a factory Glcok barrel and I didn't get all of the "Glock bulge" out of it.

Get a Lee or EGW undersize or "U" sizing die and see if that takes care of the problem.

OR face off a standard shell holder so you size all the way down the brass to get rid of the bulge from being fired in an O/S Glock chamber.

Basically what the rest of the guys here said. :-)

Amazingly similar post over at Glock Talk. Here is JR Shepard's (LWD) reply when I sent this link to him:

GT POST:

Use your chamber as a go, no-go gauge. Remove the barrel from the slide

and drop each round into the chamber. If the case head does not fit

flush with the barrel hood there is a problem with the cartridge bullet

length (OAL) or the case has not been fully resized.

1 If there are rifling scores on the projectile you need to set

the bullet back. I don't care if it fits XYZ chamber, I don't care if it

is under some published maximum OAL. Set the bullet back until it dose

NOT engage the rifling and there will not be a problem.

2 If the case is not full length resized it may not fit the

chamber..... Especially if it was fired from an over sized chamber

common with MANY Glock factory barrels.

The majority of reloaders THINK they are full length resizing their

cases. The truth of the matter is they are not. Think about it.... There

is a beveled area at the opening of the resizing die. This bevel is

required so the straight wall case will "start" into the die. The

cartridge is held by the shell holder. The shell holder seats against

the resize die. The portion of the case that starts at the case head

(held by the shell holder) all the way up to and including the actual

sizer die NEVER GETS RESIZED. This is the portion that sticks in the

chamber. Sometimes a simple bump will chamber the cartridge.....

Sometimes it sticks it harder.

The fix is simple. Sort your brass or loaded rounds by using your

chamber as a go, no-go gauge. Once a round has been fired from our

barrel you NEVER need to check it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would resuscitate this topic for a recap. I had a bay to myself today and used the time to work out a few bugs. I too had FTF issues with my LWB using .401 moly coated bullets about 5% of the time. Not good. The stock barrel ran them perfectly due to the generous chamber dimensions. I only picked up the Lone Wolf barrel as a added safety margin using different types of lead bullets. FWIW after incorporating the EGW undersized die into my setup the rounds cycle 100% So the LWB stays and that is good plus I like the finish and "branding" on the hood. B)

Jim M