Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy new cell phone without a new contract?

That's the scam....they "discount" the price of the phone for an extended contract. Without it a Razr is something stupid like $279. I cancelled my Verizon account (after 6 years) and got a Go Phone. I got sick of contracts (in Texas you almost can't take a piss without a 1 year service contract) and I'm happy with it, but I don't use the cell a lot.

I have had pretty good luck with www.tigerdirect.com Buy an "unlocked" phone and AT&T (for sure, since that is who I used when I did this a few months ago) can sign you up for a month-to-month plan and chip your phone for their service. A $89 Razr plus month to month service...who needs the "phone service contract?" Just buy two phones :)

The only funny part with Tiger Direct is that the stuff you buy won't always be in English. I had to download the manual because I am not fluent in Chinese :D

A

ATT uses phones that take SIM cards. All you have to do is buy an unlocked phone off of ebay and swap SIM cards. Once you put the sim card from the old phone into the new phone tada, it will work. You don't even have to take it in to anyone or tell them you got a new phone.

You can now go to the Apple store, buy an iPhone, go on the internet, search "unlock iPhone" and unlock it, and hook it up to AT&T or other service providers of your choice without the 2 year AT&T contract :D

It is VERY easy to do yourself, the directions online are EZPZ