Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps Frame Kit

Dump1567

I shot SPS pistols for the last two seasons and I can say that's pretty good stuff.

The quality is lower than a SV or a STI but this is still good.

I built my two modifieds on SPS lowers.

The only drawback I've figured is that there is a little space between the grip and the frame when fitting a SV/STI grip.

No big deal, but for the cosmetics <_<

I've heard nothing but good things about them. As far as the infringement thing: that to me would be an indication that the SPS guns are pretty good :) They can't be sold in the US, that's right. But then again. the SPS is about as much like an S_I, as an EEA witness is like a CZ. The only reason that EEA can be sold at all, is because CZ didn't patent their design back in 1975. They didn't expect the design to be so succesful.

Here is a link to the US patent drawings of the S_I frame and grip. Appears that the frame issued 1st; Feb. 8, 1994; then the grip frame combo on Mar. 8 1994.

http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/cgi-bin/i...t=ST;f=14;t=187

We know of the SPS; there is also a posibility that Brazil's Imbel company was producing a copy, though I do not have confirmation of it. I think that S_I frames are overpriced considering the complexity of machining the frame compared to the cost of manufacturing traditional 1911 frames. OTOH, I apreciate S_I's inovation and support for our sport.

I forgot to mention that my SPS is the grip only. The frame is an STI, I have no idea what the rest of it is. The fit of the grip to the frame is pretty good but there are a couple of spots in the back where some sharp angular projections come out. They don't seem to hit my hand while firing so I haven't really bothered to do anything about them.

-ld

jhgtyre,

Thanks for the website link. That's a pretty fun website. I haven't seen the frame kit yet. It's suppose to be dropped-off at my gunsmith within the next few weeks. I'll have him check it out. If anything is hinky, I won't buy it.

I think that S_I frames are overpriced considering the complexity of machining the frame compared to the cost of manufacturing traditional 1911 frames. OTOH, I apreciate S_I's inovation and support for our sport.

Cough up $100-250K in tooling, R&D, and maintenance for what is and will always be a low-volume product at best.........then come back and tell me what you're selling is "overpriced."

It doesn't take squat to steal intellectual property. It does take a lot of money and hell of a penchant for risk to create it.

Eric

I really have to agree with you . I mean here we have two great companies in the USA supporting our sport with excellent products. The choice is easy for me , I own an STI and an SV . The foreign rip off artists should not be rewarded for their thievery.

Bill