Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets for 625

Duster

RePete,

Funny how these old threads just keep "repeating" :rolleyes: Anyway, I went to the shop and measured a random handful of my ammo(14) and the OAL was 1.263-5" and the crimp was deadnuts 0.47" on all. The ammo was loaded on a 650. Since I originally posted above, I realized my old 625-3 was giving lower FPS than my 4" 625s. I am now shooting a relatively new 625-6 and the velocities are an easy 750 fps.

What are you using?

Bob.

A16841

Edited by S&WIowegan

RePete,

Funny how these old threads just keep "repeating" :rolleyes: Anyway, I went to the shop and measured a random handful of my ammo(14) and the OAL was 1.263-5" and the crimp was deadnuts 0.47" on all. The ammo was loaded on a 650. Since I originally posted above, I realized my old 625-3 was giving lower FPS than my 4" 625s. I am now shooting a relatively new 625-6 and the velocities are an easy 750 fps.

What are you using?

Bob.

A16841

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a PF of 175. I shoot a 625-3 4".

The load is 5.5gr/N320 and I'm only getting a PF of 171. IPSC and IDPA PF's are 170 and I want 175.

I'm in Atlanta, GA and don't have my notes.

RePete,

You need only 165000 PF for ESR in IDPA, just in case you've been misinformed. So your load should work for that.

Granderojo

You're right but I still want 175 for IPSC. I only load 1 loading per caliber so that I don't pick up the wrong box.

The load is 5.5gr/N320 and I'm only getting a PF of 171. IPSC and IDPA PF's are 170 and I want 175.

Are you using 230gr bullets?

5.0 gr WST should make that with no trouble.

I'd be just a little wary of WST down in Georgia. I used it a lot back in the early 90s until I went minor at a sectional over near Omaha. It happened the same time to a buddy who was using WST. It seems WST (and its predecessor 452AA) are very negatively affected by hot weather. Shotgunners who use it at matches learned to keep ammo in a cooler. Unfortunately, you can't do that in our games.

Bob

A16841

Are you using 230gr bullets?

Yes, I just forgot to add that.

I'm from Canada and we do get a slight temperature change the odd time. :roflol:

I'd be just a little wary of WST down in Georgia. I used it a lot back in the early 90s until I went minor at a sectional over near Omaha. It happened the same time to a buddy who was using WST. It seems WST (and its predecessor 452AA) are very negatively affected by hot weather. Shotgunners who use it at matches learned to keep ammo in a cooler. Unfortunately, you can't do that in our games.

Bob

A16841

Yes, it does give lower velocities when hot, odd but true. Does seem to have exactly the right burn rate for 230's. Slightly slow for 200's.

My favorite powder for 230 gr is WST. Last time I chronoed my regular load, I got a PF=177 using Zero 230 gr JHP, 4.7 gr WST, FedLP, mixed brass out of a 4" 625-8 on a 95 degree F day in Texas.