Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers Winchester vs. Federal

gunsablazin

I have been using Win. primers for over 20 years, I've never had a primer related problem in all that time. My supplier has been unable to get Win. LPP for several weeks, but they got in a shipment of Federals LPP. I don't really like to play around with loads etc. but since I was almost out of primers I decided to try the Federals. The long and short of it is, I can't tell any difference in there performance. My gun showed 5fps increase with the Federal, which is too close to call given other variables involved. If it had been 30-40fps that would be significant enough to call one hotter than the other. For what it's worth my load is 5.4 gr Win. 231 with 230gr masterblaster coated bullet (soon to be Precision bullet) fired from a Springfield 1911. This tells me that in the future I will use which ever one is available without worrying about it, in .45 ACP anyway. It may be a different story in higher pressure rounds.

FWIW, Robin

federals tend to light off easier than winchester. something having to do with a slightly harder primer cup for the winchester. it shouldn't matter too much in a 1911 unless you have a very light mainspring. just shoot away.

Edited by yoshidaex

I used to use only Winchester - for years & years. Then, switched to Federal as they are more reliable when the trigger is tuned (like on a 625); even used them in 9mm Major.

Dumped them both in favor of a supperior product: the PMC/Wolf primers. They are the winner! Don't take my word for it - ask David Tubb. Happy coincidence that these are also the bset priced ones.

at this point in time, i'm thinking of ordering a bunch of the wolf primers. i haven't heard any thing regarding primer cup hardness though. anyone???

Edited by yoshidaex

Rob,I have used Win. and Federal alternately depending on what is in stock or was the cheapest ever since I started reloading 15 yrs ago.I have never noticed a difference.Also there is a gun show in Dalton next weekend you may find some Win. primers there.

I have actually had the most problems with primers not going off with the federals. I am not sure what the problem was/is but i am going with winchesters now.

Interesting....My experience has been just the opposite. I switched to Federal small rifle primers for my open pistol and have not had a problem. In fact, with the WW primers, I was getting some blow by on the breech face. For some reason the Federal primers don't seem to have that same problem.

Uses only the Fed SPM because they are available.....in 38 Super Comp load....light trigger and I never had any problem. in the past I have used CCI and Win had some fail to ignite with the CCI very hard cup?

Edited by dansy

For general gun use, I tend to use Win or Rem primers since CCI's will not feed in my 650. Before when I was loading on a rock chucker, any primer I could get was ok. When I switched over to competition revolvers for ICORE the only thing that lights reliably 100% is Federals. Winchesters were about 95%. Remingtons are about 90% and I didn't even try CCI's due to the press issues. I have not tried the Wolf primers since I have a good supply of everything else these days. I use Win Small pitol for my 38 super open gun with no issues. Lately I've been using Reminton Small pistol for my 40 cal Para Limited gun also with no issues.

As far a functionality goes, the Win and Fed seem to be interchangable in my guns.

There is no measurable difference in the loads.

As others have said, the Feds seem to be a little more sensitive and ignite easily.

This seems to make it the primer of choice among the wheel gunners.

I personally avoid the Feds because I had one detonate outside the gun.

A few rounds fell off my bench and onto a wooden floor and one of them went kaboom.

That's a little too touchy for my taste.

All my guns have a hard enough firing pin strike so that I don't need the more sensitive primers.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Yes, Feds are a bit more sensitive. In fact, Lee recommends to never use them in their automatic feed devices. That is why I stopped using them when I made the switch to progressive. In a Lee, dumping the primers in a tray is one thing. But filling a priming tube is just asking for it.

According to Richard Lee, Federal uses a slightly different priming mix (all are lead styphanate based 'cept lead free, naturally) that makes it more sensitive.

Edited by Keith_J