Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger pull

mhop

I started shooting pistols by taking several classes with a local oufit. They teach that after i pulled the trigger take my finger all the way off the trigger and then take the slack out of the trigger and then press the shot. I recently heard riding the reset is the fastest way of manipulating the trigger. What are your opinions on these two different ways to manipulate the trigger

I try not to pull my finger from the trigger but the best USPSA shooter of all time, Rob Leatham, slaps the trigger. It's all about being back on the reset as quick as possible without disturbing your sight alignment at the moment the shot breaks.

I slap the trigger under about 20 yards. Once I get over 20 I go back to bullseye techniques I learned when younger and do the full prepping, squeezing etc. Though a bit quicker than the old bullseye days.

I don't see a problem with slapping as long as you do it consistently.

mhop,

Both techniques are valid and have followers. If you were to do a search on "slaps the trigger" and/or "ride the reset" you would like find some threads where this subject has been discussed in length before. Might be some good info in there for ya.