Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are there any disadvantages to full metal jacketed bullets?

hello, i see remington bulk 22 cal full metal jacket bullets listed at $7.99 per 100 and i like the price... is there any disadvantage to shooting these? are they harder on the gun????  

i realize there no good for anything but targets but thats what i want them for.....

-gbm-

No harder on gun than anything else, but do not expect benchrest accuracy. I have used 55gr mil style rem fmj a few times, great hosing ammo, but dont waste time customizing a load expecting MOA groups. As always YMMV, but thats my .02 .               Travis F.

FMJ  bullet forming dies (Non Match bullets) are used until they wear out, whereas, HP, SP, Boat tail dies (match and Self defense and hunting based bullets) are switched out when they reach the maximum allowable specifications, which is long before they are near to wearing out.

This has a lot of bearing on bullet performance and accuracy.

Since HP bullets (handgun) are usually the same as the lot's used in loaded ammunition ( with some variations) they are kept to stricter standards than most FMJ bullets.

The thinking could be (probably is) one is for stopping the nasty things that go bump in the night and the other is for practicing to gain proficiency with the intended arm and general plinking, all the while being reliable, fairly accurate and relatively inexpensive.

The bulk 55 gr. FMJ's are pretty piss poor from an accuracy standpoint.  I bought a bunch of Winchesters and they turned my 1/2 - 3/4 MOA gun into a 2-3 MOA gun.  

$7.99/100 is not even a good price.  You can get Sierra's for $11/100 and at least be running consistent bullets.  I think I paid maybe $4/100 for the Winchesters, so I thought it was an OK deal at the time.

I think some of the "bargain" FMJ's may just be military overruns and/or seconds.  That's the only thing I can think of as to why they are so gawdawful from an accuracy standpoint.

• 4 weeks later...

In reply to Sheldons comment, I don't know about accuracy, but the base of a FMJ has exposed lead whereas the JHP or TMJ doesn't. The jacketed base is more consistant than exposed lead. The exposed lead probably isn't a concern to most folks but if you shoot at an indoor range, you put just about as much vaporized lead into the air as a non-jacketed bullet <_< . Not a problem in a properly ventelated indoor range, but just a nugget of information from the worthless knowledge source. :D:D:D

dj