Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 mag concerns before purchasing pistol

mike240

I have played with a friends 2011 in 40sw. I have read all the links on the mag issue. My question is whether the issue is as big as many make it out to be. After shooting single stacks and Glocks for years I have not had mag issues. Wilson 47Ds have worked in all my 1911 45s. At anywhere from 80-200 bucks a mag I am not sure I want to get into the 2011 thing. Is the issue really as bad as everyone seems to say? And what the heck is a "tuned" or needing to tune mags to each gun? I have heard that the issues are not a large with the 40s as they are with the 45s.

And whose mags are best STI or SV? Some have said that SVs tubes are stiffer/harder steel and hold the "tuning' longer.

Help me decide....I think that buying 3 mags to get one to work is ridiculous, them have to put another 30 bucks into each of the others to get them to work is flat out stupid. Why does this issue exist in these pistols.

Thanks. Not slamming the guns, they shoot great, but why all the mag problems?

My Dawson feeds cleanly and drops free 100% of the time. Never, ever a mag problem...well, except the time I put it in the wrong direction :blink:

"Tuning" allows us to load beyond the design parameters of the OEM product. Race cars need tuning, so do race guns.

Use good parts and you won't have mag problems. I believe that most mag problems come from well-intentioned, but improper attempts at "tuning" the mags. When properly s/u, the 2011 is the most reliable thing out there IMO.

all the 40 sti mags i have gotten for my pistol have worked great. I get my mags from shooters connection thay are 47 dollars and grams guts are 17 and the dawson +1 basepads are 33. that is 97 dollars for a mag that will hold 19 maybe 20. granted if you wait and watch the class. section you can find them cheap i just sold some for 60 each. but back to your question i have had no problem with new or used sti mags, nor has my friends.

later jeremy

It's true, when you first dive into a 2011 it can be overwhelming. Especially the "mag issues". I dont like paying so much for good mags but I'd rather use GOOD MAGS than cheap, non-reliable ones. You do get what you pay for in the "race gun" divisions.

Start with the best parts and you wont need to "tune" them. Dont be afraid to buy the very best and you should be fine. I know it sucks, but the sooner you get it over with - the sooner you can start enjoying that sleek looking "race gun" you're thinking of buying :devil:

Yes, and the .40's actually have MORE problems than .45's.

I shoot STI and have gotten over 20 mags from the factory, I've only ever had one issue with a tube that actually had to be exchanged. ALL of them work, not one out of three. Since the interior is polished, sometimes there are variances but usually they are minor. Like cars, there are monday mags and wednesday mags but overall I've not run into any quality issues. Nine times out of ten, the issue is a mag spring not the mag body.

I've run arredondo followers, factory followers, SV followers, but my preference is to use Beven Graham's followers. You don't need to send you mags off to a smith to get tuned when they are new but it is an option. I've rebuilt mags using Beven's parts with a Dawson pad and gotten a 20 round mag. So yes, if you want the higher round count, you got to tweak. The thing is, after being dropped on concrete, gravel, clay, rock, etc a few hundred times, the feed lips may get dinged or dented or may spread over time with use. That is to be expected and at that point, I have had my smith clean up and tune the mags. I have some mag bodies I've been running since 2001.

Honestly, my experience is one for one on the magazines, not one out of three.

Don't get hung up on the gotta have more bullets than the next guy has stuff and you should not have problems.

+ 1

And I use STI tubes, grams springs & followers (untouched), and Dawson +1 base pads for Limited. Right around $100 and you dont mess with them. Just assemble and shoot. They work fine for 19 - 20 rounders.

Hello: I would buy some new mags and try them. They may work just perfect. If not learn to tune them yourself. Easy if you do alot of reading and a little trial and error. Don't cut on the mags though. Out of 30 or so mags I've had, I would say 25 worked just fine with no tuning. If you have questions just ask this wonderful group and they will answer. You will love shooting a 2011. Thanks, Eric