Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP minor loads

mcb

So I recently traded a Karh CW9 and got an XD-45ACP Tactical. I already have an XD-40 Tactical that I have worked up as my Limited-10 gun. After reading the article in front sight I am thinking about using my new XD-45ACP for production. So I am starting to look for a minor 45ACP load to work up. Here is what I am thinking, I would love to hear your feed back on it.

I was originally going to load lead 152gr SWC but I have a local source that I am pretty sure I can get copperized lead 200Gr SWC for basically the same price. So I think I will use those and load the new IMR Trail Boss powder. Given that I am trying to shoot minor and lead I think Trail Boss might be a good powder for this. Shoot for mid to high 600fps and hope I can get the gun to cycle reliably. I will probably run a lighter recoil spring to help facilitate this. Hopefully between the low velocity and trail boss powder leading of the barrel will not be a problem.

What do you guys think. Are there any pit falls I have over looked?

Thanks

mcb

Might want to go to the XD forum and read all the problems people were having getting SWC to feed reliably. I have not seen an advertisement for an XD45 tactical guide rod & don't know if the 9mm will work. The main problem with lighter springs is getting the slide to strip a round into the chamber & keep the slide in battery. I tried that in my 9mm when I was trying to get a 130 PF load but springs light enough to eject wouldn't always drive the slide into battery.

If you find what you are looking for please post here because I have a tactical in layaway.

Hmmm... well I can fix the SWC problem. The same company has some 200 RNFP I could try.

What do you guys think of using the Trail Boss in a 45 ACP for light loads?

mcb

The best minor load a could come up with through my G-21 was a Mont Gold 200 flat pt over 4.2 grains of Clays with an OAL of about 1.185. I ran a #15 flat spring and was getting a PF of about 140. I think 140 is about the lowest you showed try to go to maintain reliability.