Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Master

BDH

I've finally decided to bite the bullet, buy a semi auto, and play around a little with some of this 3 Gun stuff. I had been looking off and on for an SX2 mk II, but have never seen any in stock, so I think I am just going to buy a Competition Master.

Does anyone have any ammo suggestions that work well in this gun? Specifically, who's low recoil slugs run reliably, and what shot size/shotshell's are recommended?

I don't know what I don't know, so any suggestions are appreciated! ;)

BDH,

You are really opening a can of worms. Get ready for the flood of information your going to get. The short answer is, try some out for yourself and do a lot of testing. Setting up a shotgun is really a beast. Regardless of which shell you choose, it will shoot differently out of different shotguns, even if both are Remingtons. I'll start with the easy stuff first. Most people shooting low-recoil slugs are using remington reduced recoil. Unless they won't cycle or group horribly, Stay with them. I like to have two types of shotshells. Usually some moderate/stout #8's (I shoot a Benelli) and some ass kicking #6's. I save the 6's for long range/heavy steel. Once you get some shotshells you like, then I would experiment with some chokes. I use three right know, but I may add a fourth. They are IC, Modified, and Full. I won't get any further into it since this is the short answer, but your going to get all kinds of responses. Just put in some time and see what works for you.

Erik

Bear, okay, thanks for the info. In hunting through the forums I've seen the Remington low recoil slugs pop up frequently. I checked Remington's website and didn't even see them listed. Any ideas on where I can find them?

Erik, actually I did try the search function and was surprised I didn't find more info. Maybe my search was too narrow. I'll give it another try.....

BDH,

Unfortunately I don't. I just moved to Georgia and the local 3 gun club doesn't shoot slugs. Most of the time I used to see in the outdoors stores were around hunting time, but they always sold out quickly. I pick some up whenever I see them, but I guess you coud go to your favorite gunshop and have them order you a case. I think they are 250 rds. to a case. That should get you through testing and zeroing.

Erik