Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honor over Money

spook

Unfortunately when it comes to pro sports here in the US I'm jaded. Mostly overpaid cry babies with felony records. I would have liked to see Tito kick Dana's ass but that was just another hype job to get veiwers. The lied to by the boss is what gets me, if we all quit when the boss lied to us nobody would work!

Unfortunately when it comes to pro sports here in the US I'm jaded. Mostly overpaid cry babies with felony records. I would have liked to see Tito kick Dana's ass but that was just another hype job to get veiwers. The lied to by the boss is what gets me, if we all quit when the boss lied to us nobody would work!

Well Chriss, seemed like we were both right:

Randy talks about his resignation (long press conference)

Certainly a lot of money related crap in there (more than I expected), but also total lack of respect from the Fertittas and especially White... :(

I love the part where he says he's not going to bash Dana, then bashes Dana and then repeats he will not bash Dana :lol:

Edited by spook

Unfortunately when it comes to pro sports here in the US I'm jaded. Mostly overpaid cry babies with felony records.

That's so true. However, the MMA guys - even the top guys - are not making close to the $ that anyone in MLB, NFL or NBA is making.

Right now, it's much harder for an MMA fighter to shop his worth than those other sports.

Give it time and the right marketing. Look at NASCAR. 30 years ago it was a bunch of drunken hillbillies raising hell and driving fast. Now it is a multibillion dollar industry. People watch it for the crashes and people watch MMA to see somebody get their ass beat. We have progressed so far from the days of the gladiators and feeding people to lions.......not! Of course I have a list of candidates if they ever bring back the lions!

People watch it for the crashes and people watch MMA to see somebody get their ass beat.

I beg to differ. That seems to be a UFC thing.

I love to watch MMA and the only thing I see when I watch a bout is technique. I love MMA because it is one of the most technically challenging (if not the most) sport. What I loved about PrideFC vs. the UFC was the audience. The Japanese watch MMA like most people watch tennis. "Ooh's and Aah's" only when there are some spectacular actions and applause when someone passed the opponent's guard. No booing, or yelling "gay" when the fight goes to the ground or throwing beercans or other retarded stuff.

Even Rampage complained that people booed him after his first UFC appearance... :(

Yes, the UFC crowds are very similar to the crowds at WWE events...

I believe it is because the crowds are comprised of 99% Americans at UFC events, the behavior of the crowds is how a lot of Americans tend to act at these types of events...it like a bit of retardation flows through the air!

BTW, I am American, I love America, but I think a lot of Americans need to take a trip overseas and see how the rest of the world behaves! I have come to believe the majority of Americans have no clue how to act when in large crowds, expecially after they have been drinking!

You put a completely technical match out there in the US and the crowd will boo and leave. Put a blood bath out there with a big KO to end it and it will get rave reviews. It is just a different culture here. This is the land where major bar fights happen because somebody told the guy on the bar stool next to him that WWE is fake. Soccer is the most popular sport in the rest of the world here it is ranks lower than bowling. I guess that it is the rebel in all of us to do things different than the rest of the world, but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

I love to watch MMA and the only thing I see when I watch a bout is technique. I love MMA because it is one of the most technically challenging (if not the most) sport.

I think the challenge for the sport is that you must have some knowledge of BJJ (or other ground fighting techniques) to really understand what's going on when the fight goes to the ground. If you don't, it just looks likes the fighters are rolling around on the ground.

To get that knowledge - and then appreciate the sport fully - you must have some exposure to BJJ or similar art - which usually comes through working out. You could probably go to 5 BJJ classes and then have some understanding to watch intelligently, but I'm not sure how you'd get that understanding without working out at least a few times.

That, IMO, is a limitation on the popularity of the ground aspect of the sport. Conversley, seeing blood flow after a guy catches a right cross to the nose is universally understood . . . and the crowd goes wild . . .

An example is Sean Serk's last fight (was it against Hermes?). Sherk totally dominated in a technical ground match. The crowd was unimpressed.

Edited by chp5

Personally I don't think you have to work out to understand the ground game, but it does take a while to learn it enough to appreciate it just by watching fights.

I kind of wish a MMA fights would stay on the ground for a year or so if that would get rid of the WWE fans. As far as I can tell, WWE is designed for 10 -14 year old age group, and those adults who haven't progressed beyond that level. When the UFC starts acting anything like WWE, I'll be done with it.

I can't begin to understand how Dana lied to Randy and should be fired. Dana White is the reason MMA is so big right now, and Randy even admits it. Once Randy lied about not getting the $500K signing bonus, I lost any interest in whatever else he had to say, so I'm glad he told the giant lie early in the press conference. I like to watch him fight and he presents a "nice guy" image, but for now he's acting like a spoiled prick with a really bad memory. If he doesn't live up to his contract I predict Zuffa will ruin him in court, and he'll deserve it. "Honor over Money".....what a joke.....

I just want to see Hughes beat the crap out of Serra. That fight should have happened months ago instead of tying it into that stupid Ultimate Fighter show (I'm still hoping for a real fight this season).

Personally I don't think you have to work out to understand the ground game, but it does take a while to learn it enough to appreciate it just by watching fights.

I kind of wish a MMA fights would stay on the ground for a year or so if that would get rid of the WWE fans. As far as I can tell, WWE is designed for 10 -14 year old age group, and those adults who haven't progressed beyond that level. When the UFC starts acting anything like WWE, I'll be done with it.

I can't begin to understand how Dana lied to Randy and should be fired. Dana White is the reason MMA is so big right now, and Randy even admits it. Once Randy lied about not getting the $500K signing bonus, I lost any interest in whatever else he had to say, so I'm glad he told the giant lie early in the press conference. I like to watch him fight and he presents a "nice guy" image, but for now he's acting like a spoiled prick with a really bad memory. If he doesn't live up to his contract I predict Zuffa will ruin him in court, and he'll deserve it. "Honor over Money".....what a joke.....

I just want to see Hughes beat the crap out of Serra. That fight should have happened months ago instead of tying it into that stupid Ultimate Fighter show (I'm still hoping for a real fight this season).

I like Serra in this one and the fight should have happened before. TUF6 sucks big ones. Everyone on the show is a winey b!+ch.

I used to really like Matt Hughes, but recently I've started to see him like Serra sees him. I also like Serra's attitude a whole lot more. I'm pulling for him to win.

Jake,

I am with you on this. I thought Hughes was a good guy until I saw him cut up on GSP on TUF4. After that, I thought he was as Matt Serra said, a D***!

ASSUMING Zuffa's side of the story is true, then that sheds a new light on the Randy situation.

I also agree with Jake - I've lost a little respect for Hughs and gained a lot of repsect to Serra. I think the future in the weight class belongs to GSP though. GSP is the most complete fighter in the weight class.