Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag spring week

scribble

I just acquired to used Wilson 47d mags and the springs are so week they won't lock the slide open when empty. I am wondering if I should replace with a different spring brand or just ship back to wilson for replacment.

That's funny ..... I thought it was Fire Prevention Week B)

All kidding aside some of us dont like it when the slide locks back on an empty mag. Something about potentially breaking an ejector when slamming a new mag in the gun. But Scout454 is right, you can put new springs in them. You can buy Wilson springs, or Wolff or even IMI. Maybe some of the more 'informed' 45 shooters here can answer which spring is best for those mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be possible that it's a misshaped/misfitted slide stop or magazine follower problem?

My preference is the TRIPP RESEARCH upgrade kits. These springs are tough and the followers are a great design.

http://trippresearch.com/CVS/products/1911/1911.html

I've used their 7 round capacity kits before and replaced many mags.

Now I see they have 8 rounders. >_< I have not tried those but I swear by the 7 round kits I have.

I just acquired to used Wilson 47d mags and the springs are so week they won't lock the slide open when empty. I am wondering if I should replace with a different spring brand or just ship back to wilson for replacment.

If you call them, they may replace your mag springs. I got a few mags from a known "bad batch" of springs. Sent in the mags and a few days later they sent me some new ones that worked fantastically!

~Mitch

If you call them, they may replace your mag springs. I got a few mags from a known "bad batch" of springs. Sent in the mags and a few days later they sent me some new ones that worked fantastically!

~Mitch

Good call Mitch!

Wilson Combat has been pretty good about their no BS guarantee.

I think Wilson does a good job too guys.. but these are second hand USED mags

Calling Wilson customer service is definitely up to the user. If the mag looks new and is not working it might really be a manufacturing flaw and valid, but if the mag looks like its been run over with a truck, or if you want to make a business from buying and selling refurbed mags then that is different and somewhat unethical.

For what its worth, both Wilson and Dillon have bent over backwards to take care of the customer (even when I was being a dumbass). Asking politely and not taking advantage of their generousity goes a long way, but don't expect anything and you won't lose anything :D

..or.. you can just buy those TRIPP kits :D