Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr. Speer SWC

billdncn

Not feeding. When they don't feed, the case mouth is getting torn on the barrel hood, and then I get bullet set back. I loaded these to 1.175/1.180". Much longer and they won't chamber properly.

These bullets are swaged, and when they do feed there is a slight ding on the corner of the bullet's nose.

This gun feeds everything else. 230 RN, HG68's, even 185gr jacketed SWC's

Any suggestions?

Does my gun just not like this bullet design?

Thanks

Edited by billdncn

Did, and will do again. Used 47D's, CM's, and Metalform.

Funny thing is when I release the slide while grasping it and letting it go foward slowly they feed just as nice as can be :blink:

BTW, I'm running a 14# spring, and this load should be right at a PF of 170. I'm thiking I may try different poundage springs. just to see if it'll make any difference.

Thanks

Ok, same problem with all mags. Different springs didn't help either. Guess it's just a combination of bullet design, OAL, feed ramp, feeding angle, etc.

Not going to send it off to a smith just to feed this bullet.

They sure are accurate though :blush:

I use a OAL of 1.245 for 200 gr SWC. Try loading to that length and see what happens.

Later,

Chuck

I can load the H&G68 style 200gr SWC out to 1.230" (maybe a little longer, don't remember) . This bullet from Speer is different though. It has a much shorter nose. I can't load them any longer then 1.190" or they contact the lands (rifling) in this barrel. Other 200gr SWC's with a longer OAL have fed fine though.

Thanks

I had the same problem with Berry 200gr SWC so I think it is the bullet design or the plating.

same here. i had the oal just long enough where case checking using the barrel, the rounds did not drop all the way in. it would chamber during normal use but i'm thinking it was barely hitting the lands. the barrel was a barsto and i'm thinking it needed to be throated just a bit. it chambered the berry 230 grn RN stuff just fine so i left it and sold all the 200 swc rounds i had loaded up. funny thing is it loaded up and ran perfect in a wilson. rounds dropped right in.

Many years ago I used to load the 200 gr. Speer LSWC behinf 3.6 gr. Calys for ca 725 fps with outstanding accuracy and rerlaibility in several semi-autos. I don't remember the OAL but usually exposing ca. 1mm of the shoulder on the LSWC insures excellent feeding.

Thanks to all

I think I needed just a little more crimp. Just a little more crimp has smoothed out the case mouth. I was at .472" or so.

Now at .469/.470"

When I now drop the slide manually they seem to chamber real smooth. No hangups. I'm getting ready to try some in a bit.

Back later with follow up............

Thanks to all

I think I needed just a little more crimp. Just a little more crimp has smoothed out the case mouth. I was at .472" or so.

Now at .469/.470"

When I now drop the slide manually they seem to chamber real smooth. No hangups. I'm getting ready to try some in a bit.

Back later with follow up............

When I load .45acp lead bullets I must crimp to .469 or they won't feed/run reliably. Jacketed bullets run fine at .471 - .473.

I like the ZERO 200 gr LSWC. I think their catalog number for this bullet #117. Very accurate, and it works!

MJ

Hello friends, just thought I would add what I found with some SWC's in the 200 gr. I shoot a SA operater and mostly use Laser cast 200 SWC with 100% reliability but have the same problem (feeding problems) with with some plated and jacketed 200 SWC such as Ranier, Speer. I compared the bullet profiles and the Laser cast are somewhat fatter at the tip of the bullet as opposed to the Ranier and speer. This has a slight effect on the way the bullet tilts over to feed into the chamber (seems that the forward edge of the case grabs on the chamber). I can mess around with aol, round break over timing (mags),crimp and get them to work but I just avoid the trouble and get the bullet profile that I know that works.

Edited by Arms

Ok I'm back. Thanks for the most recent reply's.

I have just traded off the Springfield for a Para PX745J :lol: These bullets seem to feed fine with Para's ramped barrel. Pic inserted for your viewing pleasure..........

CopyofPara003.jpg

Back with range report later

Had about 3 FTF with this load out of about 70 rounds fired. This is much better then the Springer, but still unacceptable. Pretty accurate though. 6-shot groups coming in about 1.5" @ 15 offhand

I just ordered some Oregon Trail 200 gr. SWC's. The H&G #68 style SWC's feed fine. I will not be using these 200 grainers from Speer again.

Thanks for the help, and info.

• 5 weeks later...