Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never to young to start shooting IPSC

matt2ace

I applaud all of the efforts made by USPSA (and other orgs) to get young people interested in shooting sports. I shot a local match earlier this month with Green Mountain Practical Shooters in Vermont. One of my good friends has a 3 1/2 year old daughter who has come to matches since she was 6 months old. She is real range rat and loves to be with the squad while dad shoots. She understands the term 'eyes and ears' means put on the safety equipment and she loves guns! She had been promised that she could shoot a gun at the match and was very insistant that dad let her have a chance.

Here is pic of her with dad taking a few shots at poppers with his 40 limited gun. No fear, complete trust, and a very happy little girl. She hit all 4 poppers on without a miss. OK, Dad did help a little :D

post-12164-1191013827.jpg

Awesome.

Are those archery targets in the background?

Yes, the club who hosts GMPS (Lamoille Valley Fish and Game) is setup for rifle, pistol, shotgun, and archery shooting. You can see the IPSC targets in the pic that were part of the stage on that pit. The archery targets were not part of the IPSC stage :lol:

Edited by matt2ace

• 2 months later...

Some of the guys at our local club dont care for youngsters at the practice matches. They complain about how they slow things down. the funny thing is a friend of mines 8 year old son was beating some of them. Oh well, you will always have those types.....

Love seeing the kids there. You're a lucky dad. I think I see a benefit beyond just responsibilities around firearms locally as I have watched the young crowd at local matches take jobs to earn a new gun, or raise 4-H calves to be able to buy a new open gun, do their own reloading (ahem, as there were some feeding issues with Dad's reloads). Any of the shooting sports can evolve into much broader learning experience for kids and teens. Fantastic.