Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand disability

DarthMuffin

I have an injury to my weak arm which makes it impossible to hold up a gun weak hand only, I just don't have the strength to grip it or lift it reliabily (by reliabily I mean there's a >50% chance of dropping it if I try). Watching me shoot freestyle you may not notice this, it still works well enough to help direct my strong hand and to reload with.

If I were to shoot a classifier which requires weak-hand only and I chose not to, what would the penalty be? In the past, I just shot freestyle and RO's have given me a procedural for each shot and I just took it, since a hit and a procedural are better than a mike or dropping the gun and getting a DQ, but I just noticed the following rule:

10.2.11 Special penalty: A competitor unable to fully execute any part of

a course of fire due to incapacity or injury may, prior to making

his attempt at the course of fire, request that the Range Master

apply a penalty in lieu of the stated course requirement.

10.2.11.1 If the request is approved by the Range Master, a minimum

of one procedural penalty, up to a maximum penalty of 20%

of the competitor’s points “as shot” (rounded up to the

nearest whole number), will be deducted from the competitor’s

score. For example, if 100 points are available in the

course of fire and the competitor actually scores 90 points,

the special penalty is a deduction of 18 points.

I have an injury to my weak arm which makes it impossible to hold up a gun weak hand only, I just don't have the strength to grip it or lift it reliabily (by reliabily I mean there's a >50% chance of dropping it if I try). Watching me shoot freestyle you may not notice this, it still works well enough to help direct my strong hand and to reload with.

If I were to shoot a classifier which requires weak-hand only and I chose not to, what would the penalty be? In the past, I just shot freestyle and RO's have given me a procedural for each shot and I just took it, since a hit and a procedural are better than a mike or dropping the gun and getting a DQ, but I just noticed the following rule:

10.2.11 Special penalty: A competitor unable to fully execute any part of

a course of fire due to incapacity or injury may, prior to making

his attempt at the course of fire, request that the Range Master

apply a penalty in lieu of the stated course requirement.

10.2.11.1 If the request is approved by the Range Master, a minimum

of one procedural penalty, up to a maximum penalty of 20%

of the competitor’s points “as shot” (rounded up to the

nearest whole number), will be deducted from the competitor’s

score. For example, if 100 points are available in the

course of fire and the competitor actually scores 90 points,

the special penalty is a deduction of 18 points.

The rule kind of answers your question -- and we actually discussed this on a classifier stage last week, where a competitor simply couldn't get a sight picture in a low port, due to a physical infirmity. The answer is it'll be at least one procedural, and if you gain a significant advantage --- as in shooting all strings standing, vs. 1 standing, 1 kneeling, and 1 prone for example --- then it's 20% of the points you shoot. Don't get confused by the significant advantage language --- that's probably how I'd decide on the penalty as a MD, but it's up to the match director's discretion. He's free to arbitrarily decide to go with 1 procedural, and just as free to decide on the 20% as shot.

That last point's important: It's 20% of the points shot, not 20% of the points available.....

Since this is a classifier, I would suggest contacing John Amidon (dnroi@uspsa.org) for a formal ruling.

Why? Wouldn't the rulebook ultimately govern how classifiers are scored? If I can't count on the provisions of 10.2.11 when scoring a classifier, you boys better get to writin' and approvin' before you send that spiffy new rulebook off to the printers --- 'cause that would be a significant problem.....

the new rule book will help this problem:

10.2.10.1 Exception – In a weak hand/strong hand stage, a competitor who has physical use of only one hand

may use the same hand for both weak and strong without penalty.

maybe a little cloudy with particial use type disability.

lynn

the new rule book will help this problem:

10.2.10.1 Exception – In a weak hand/strong hand stage, a competitor who has physical use of only one hand

maybe a little cloudy with particial use type disability.

lynn

10.2.10 Special penalty: A competitor unable to fully execute any part of a course of fire due to incapacity or injury

may, prior to making his attempt at the course of fire, request that the Range Master apply a penalty in lieu of

the stated course requirement.

10.2.10.2 If the request is approved by the Range Master, a minimum of one procedural penalty, up to a

maximum penalty of 20% of the competitor's points “as shot” (rounded up to the nearest whole

number), will be deducted from the competitor's score. For example, if 100 points are available in

the course of fire and the competitor actually scores 90 points, the special penalty is a deduction of

18 points. The Range Master may waive any or all procedural penalties in respect of a competitor

who has

Now just what does that mean? Does it mean if they only have one hand? That is what I assume, or we could see a spate of "injuries" if a match had such stages.

And does the shooter bear the responsibility of clearing this with the range master before shooting any stage or is it a stage by stage process?

Edited by vluc