Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

advice needed

redeyedraider

I have narrowed my weapon search and decided to buy the s&w m&p. I want to use it to compete in practical shooting, however, I am unsure about any advantages of disadvantages between the two(standard and compact). I have read many publications about this gun but would appreciate any info you can throw my way.

I would stay away from the compact, if you are serious about competing with it. The standard will work just fine in Production Division in 9mm or .40. If you do play in Production, keep in mind the 10 round limit. With a bit of work the standard will work in Limited/L10 as well, although I am waiting for the 5" version in 40 before I move to Limited. There are many on this forum who shoot the M&P in Production and seem to be very happy with it. I know I am.

I'd say that if you ever intend to use this as a self-defense weapon I'd go full-sized. If you can CCW it without printing, I'd go full-sized. If you can handle its' grip size, I'd go full-sized. The only reason I'd go with a compact version is because the full-size prints when I'm CCW'd.

I have both the M&P9 and M&P 9C. I prefer to carry the 9C. For IDPA I shoot the M&P9 but also practice with the 9C to maintain my skills. At ranges up to 15 yards there is not much difference in my shooting. Beyond that the longer sight radius has an advantage. For what it is worth my M&P45 is real easy to shoot with less felt recoil than my 19ll. Depending on where I am going the 45 will replace the 9C in my carry.

I have narrowed my weapon search and decided to buy the s&w m&p. I want to use it to compete in practical shooting, however, I am unsure about any advantages of disadvantages between the two(standard and compact). I have read many publications about this gun but would appreciate any info you can throw my way.

Full sized. Excellent for competition and excellent for CCW.

PB is correct. It is a great gun for competition. If you plan to use it for both carry and comp, go with the full size. I don't own a compact but a lot of the officers I work with do. If you plan to use it just for carry then go with the compact. The guys have said it is very easy to carry. As for the 5", I will be in line as soon as it comes out. But again, if you plan to use it for both carry and comp I would stick with the full size.

I'd go full size as well. I have the 40 full size and I find it easy to conceal with my IWB kydex center of mass holster. Like many others, I love this pistol. Wasn't much of a S&W auto fan until this pistol was introduced. Can't wait for the 5" version.