Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bindon Aiming Concept

So you look with both eyes open, see the target with the left eye, and your brain puts the dot from the scope seen in your right eye on the target. Fine enough, but what I want to know is does this concept work with most scopes or are we talking some fancy design incorporated into certain manufactures scopes (Trijicon etc.)

I suppose what I really what to know is how much do I have to pony up for an entry-level 3-gun scope? I did some looking around here, and people are recommending Leopold 1.5-5x or1-4x I was looking at an AccuPoint by Trijicon (definitely on the highest end of my price range), or a 1-4x by Bushnell. Is BAC a must have for the fast and furious shooing we do?

Another reason you keep both eyes open is due to visual accuity(sp?) . When you close one eye you actually reduce the accuity of the other eye by about 70% meaning you dont see as well . The Russians did extensive testing with there Olympic shooters proving this theory . I only wish I had known about it when I was 6 and just learning how to shoot , it would have saved me years of unlearning bad habits . This is true no matter which sight system you use , Trijicon or otherwise .

Keeping both eyes open is definately the ticket for competition shooting or real life shooting. I know when using my Elcan 3.4 or Styer Aug 1.5 you get what we call jump out. What happens when you put the scope on the target with both eyes open, it seems like the target jumps out at you. Trust that the reticle is on the target where you see it and press the trigger.

Of course its easier with the lower power scopes but I find it works well with my Elcan too. It takes practice but worth it when shooting close targets.

I'm not sure what power is too much that this won't work. I have only tried and used this with the Elcan and Aug.

If you want to learn to shoot with both eyes open, place a piece of celophane tape on the support eye glass so you cannot focus with the support eye. Try this for a while in practice. I have found sometime this works and sometime it doesn't. Hopefully it will work for you.

The BAC works with just about any optics, but what I've found is the lit reticle works better for me, specially when looking through 2x-4x power scopes. I'm a righty with left eye dominancy, it is more difficult to use BAC.

MHughes, I've tried the tape technique, but it was a no go for me. Just one of those things when you're crossed-dominant. I got disoriented when my brain tells me to use the left one, but darn...there is something in the way, switch to the right one...I gave up :( and just closed the left one when it comes to long range rifle, even at 3x.

Hmmm... Yes I shoot with both eyes open, just haven't shot to many scopes and was looking for some opinions. If the Bindon Aiming Concept works with most low power scopes I might just go with the Leopold before I shell out the big bucks for an AccuPoint, or other high dollar wiss bang setup. Or am I totally off base here, is the BAC thing over rated?

Any other opinions?

Are folks with low power variables running dots (optima/doctor) for close stuff, or dropping down into the 1-2 power range to hose?

If it’s necessary I was wondering if one were to use a raised see through scope ring, and a small dot mounted on a forward hand guard, would he be have a functional set up? You know like to avoid having to cock head, or gun to the side while running a dot, cause I don't know if I'm coordinated enough to run with my head all cocked over, plus it looks goofy.

:blink:

Dave... to add to what Michael and other have said, the intensity and color of he "dot" does matter.... the brain will choose the sighting needs for a given consideration... if a quick shot is needed the coarse sight will be chosen (the dot) but if time is not a requirement then the brain will revert to the finer sight (magnification) ....I am not a rifle shooter, so don't have a lot of experience with many scopes... the couple of years we shot the Chevy Team Challenge I used a 24X Tasco with a 1/8 dot.... the dot was easier for me to pick up than regular cross hairs... I have an older ACOG TA01 without the BAC and a TA44 1.5x16 with the amber triangle... the slight magnification is not enough to distort close targets, but offers enough for tired eyes at a distance....I've had it on my carbine all year, and am learning more each time I shoot it... will have it on the carbine for North Carolina (but will have the 4x along just in case).... a friend has one of the 4x32's with the red chevron which may be the ticket for the real world, but for us game players we decided on the low power/dot (triangle) combination with the widest field of view possible, and still have a good twilight factor

Les

Dave... additionally... if you pick up a scope with an alternative (dot) aiming point, you can test it relatively easily... just swing the scope from off target to a stationary aiming point and follow the dot, you will notice your eye follows the contrasting dot, but when you stop the motion the magnification will "jump out" at you... your brain deciding on which aiming system is needed for each situation....do you really need one, probably not... the most we shoot down here in Florida is about 200m...my Holo sight worked very well last year, and I had money sitting in the gun safe for the TA44.... those guys out west all seem to gravitate to higher magnification optics...I noticed Jeff Cramblitt hanging around the Khales booth at the shot show, but I was sworn to secrecy.... Les

Dave, I now run a Leupold CQ/T, 3x for anything beyond 50 yds. and 1x for the close ups shots out to 50 or so. In a stage with mixed targets, if there is not a transition, like running or getting in/out of shooting position, then I just leave it at 2x. If you look hard enough, the CQ/T is reasonably cheaper now than when it first came out (just because some heavy bashing (unwarranted I might add) it took over at the AR15 site.

I was teaching a 223 at Gunsite when the Leupold CQ/T first came out. We received one to try and put it on one of the students AR-15. I only shot it a little. It worked well.

I also know Eric Miller has one and one of the guys on our Swat team uses one. From talking to them, they both like the CQ/T and don't have any complaints. It is one of those scopes I want to play with more. It looks to have good possibilities for both real life and the 3 gun game.