Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass ID?

JThompson

I have some brass that's giving me an issue or two. It has either a 68 or an 89 on the head stamp along with a Delta or Triangle. These are not only hard to resize, but the primer pocket is too small to seat right leading to high primers. I got a feel for them now and just pull them from the press on decap. I was just wondering who makes them?

JT

Question, if they are a problem, why are you still using them? I sort all my brass after I clean it & if it is not Win, Fed, Rem, PMC or Starline I give it to someone less discriminating.

I'm not using it, I'm pitching it... I was just wondering what it was? Military maybe?

Actually, I think it's russian manufactured. Russian ammo is usually stamped with a symbol that represents the factory, and the the ones I seen have been stars and triangles, but I've never seen them on 9mm. It's hard to tell though, there have been so many "special ammo" made for "special stuff" that is can get confusing with the military ammo. brass from one country with their headstamp loaded in another factory... bla bla bla. The other two number would be respectively the year of manufacture (ya, kind of a gimmie). It's definately not american, and therefore should be culled immediately.

The only other triangle stamp I could find was North Korean :unsure: , and has a dot in the center of the triangle. I have no idea what North Korea is making for handgun ammo, but if you have some of that.... Um..... It's totally worthless, and you should mail it to me immediately :D

Actually, I think it's russian manufactured. Russian ammo is usually stamped with a symbol that represents the factory, and the the ones I seen have been stars and triangles, but I've never seen them on 9mm. It's hard to tell though, there have been so many "special ammo" made for "special stuff" that is can get confusing with the military ammo. brass from one country with their headstamp loaded in another factory... bla bla bla. The other two number would be respectively the year of manufacture (ya, kind of a gimmie). It's definately not american, and therefore should be culled immediately.

The only other triangle stamp I could find was North Korean :unsure: , and has a dot in the center of the triangle. I have no idea what North Korea is making for handgun ammo, but if you have some of that.... Um..... It's totally worthless, and you should mail it to me immediately :D

No dot in the middle of this one... I'll get a pic up later today.

Is this is? HERE? I have some that is quite similar but without the caliber printed on it. It's a bit hard to re-size and primers fit tight but I do everything single stage/hand prime so I haven't had any issues using it in production.

Is this is? HERE? I have some that is quite similar but without the caliber printed on it. It's a bit hard to re-size and primers fit tight but I do everything single stage/hand prime so I haven't had any issues using it in production.

That's close... lemme get my ass out of bed and head down to the reloading bench and I'll post one. Damn long weekend with setting up for the match and then helping to run the ROs, shooting and helping tear down. I needed to get back to work where I could get some rest. :)

Post pic in 5

11.jpg

Edited by JThompson

Most likely the Norinco stuff. I got some in a box of mixed brass I bought. I'm not loading it to major but it hasn't given me any problems other than being a little hard to resize/deprime when I run it through my Redding dies. If I use my Lee die (not a "U" die and not as tight as the Redding) it comes out just fine and loads up good. I don't mind the tight primer pockets as they don't cause me any grief with my Lee hand primer either.

Most likely the Norinco stuff. I got some in a box of mixed brass I bought. I'm not loading it to major but it hasn't given me any problems other than being a little hard to resize/deprime when I run it through my Redding dies. If I use my Lee die (not a "U" die and not as tight as the Redding) it comes out just fine and loads up good. I don't mind the tight primer pockets as they don't cause me any grief with my Lee hand primer either.

I had shot a few before I caught it and the main reason I pulled it was I caught a few of them not seating all the way and noticed the extra effort in resize.