Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Mag Setup to go with?

Coolduckboy

having a hell of a time getting 20 in my DP tuned mags with ISMI spring and STI follower. I bought two Grams followers and springs, I n ow get 20, but the slide locks open with 1 round in the mag. Can I carve out the section of the Grams follower that's pressing on the slide lock lever and still get OK function? I really like being able to get 20 rounds reloadable in the mag.

Yes, just lower that part of the follower a little bit at a time until it doesn't lock back with a round left. That will preserve the lock back on empty that you must want if you haven't defeated the slide locking back completely yet. It really is a nice touch with the Grams follower, not every mag has the catch slot in the same place and not every grip has the catch in the same place and so on. With the Grams follower you can tune the follower to lock the slide back regardless of all the other variables if you want the slide to lock.

I grind off the part of the slide stop that contacts the follower and dimple the stop to stay down on my high cap guns, I don't want the slide locking back for any reason.

Thanks all for the compliments in this thread. I appreciate it.

Dont worry Howard after the info and help you gave to the people that asked.. you deserve it :cheers::cheers: now get back to work and get those mags back to Chuck so i can finally start shooting my limited gun :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by ogiebb

all of my mags are factory SV mags with Gramms follower kits and Dawson basepads. I get 20 it each of them with no problems. I dont see the need to spend a lot of money for tuning a mag so it holds 1 more round. Most limited shooters are going to reload after 16 or 18 at the most so the extra round is a non factor to me. None of my factory mags have had any work done to them and they are 100% functional all the time. I have never had a mag problem with any Limited or Open mags.

all of my mags are factory SV mags with Gramms follower kits and Dawson basepads. I get 20 it each of them with no problems. I dont see the need to spend a lot of money for tuning a mag so it holds 1 more round. Most limited shooters are going to reload after 16 or 18 at the most so the extra round is a non factor to me. None of my factory mags have had any work done to them and they are 100% functional all the time. I have never had a mag problem with any Limited or Open mags.

I use this recipe as well. I do tweek the taper of the feed lips abit and polish up the inside. ALL have worked reliably with 20 reloadable. My experience is that the SV tubes are pretty high quality right out of the box. I have never seen an SV tubed mag do the "baby rattle" thing either.

I just throw my mag tubes in my tubler for about 6 hours with walnut shells and let the inside and outside get polished up.

I thought of doing that too- how many do you put in at a time and what kind (size) of tumbler do you use?