Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drawbacks using 25-2 vs 625?

whizz

The action on my 29-3 which I use feels right now even better than the action on my late 625-3 ever did.

Rust? Has never been an issue on any of my blued guns. Of course they need a bit more caretaking but that does not bother me.

Wearing of the blueing I just consider normal on a weapon which is used frequently.

Heard a saying once: "Beware of the man with a worn gun, he might know how to use it." Of course, in my case you may replace worn with ugly and put the emphasis on "might". B)

Regarding Ti cylinders, I had one in my 625 and did not like it for several reasons. When the gun gets hot it is really hot and the brass would stick a little The balance of the gun also feels better to me with the SS cylinder. The only way to know which you like best is to try both. The Ti cylinders are easy to sell if you don't like them.

Patrick showed me his rust on his 25-2 (which he shoots very well) down at Tulsa. In fairness to his 25-2, we should mention the humidity level was often at least 100% while it rained. Also, it would have been possible the gun got dipped in the mud puddles or wood chips. :rolleyes:

I saw Voigt on Tulsa TV say USSA is the "finest shooting facility in the US". I have seen a lot of facilities around the US. USSA might someday be among the best if they ever get it done :angry2: It's a minor scandal that USPSA has held two nationals at a range that is not ready for primetime in spite of repeated assurances that it would be. Could Voigt have a "conflict of interest"??? ;)

It was interesting to hear about those using a MDL 29. My brother has a 29 modified to use .44 Auto Mag brass in a moonclip. They use the .45 moon clip and are not floppy at all. Plus he makes the brass from .308 or 30.06 brass which means he can adjust the length. Just an oddity, but an interesting one.

So get one, new or used.

When my wife saw the range at USSA, she said "You guys have a strange idea of what is 'world class.'"

Yes, I'm sure when it is done it will be a cracking good facility. But they are short of it by;

Three truckloads of hydro-seeding. (Maybe four or five) Plus that many of chopped straw.

Two miles of temporary piping for a sprinkler system to grow the hydroseed.

Twenty-seven truckloads of gravel to control the mud.

A couple of hundred signs to tell you what is what and where.

A sanitation system that isn't just two dozen port-a-johns scattered across the landscape.

A finished clubhouse/range house.

Someone who understands drainage.

To be world-class they'll need:

300 more poppers. (My club is just a little place and we have 100 poppers, five plate racks and a complete Steel Challenge set.)

A dedicated wi-fi system there at the range.

Paved, marked parking.

Someone who understands the gravitational effect on steeply-sloped berms.

But it does have amazing potential. The ranges are nice, even if they don't drain.

But back to the subject at hand: the big advantage of the 25-2 is the sight radius. At close range, I need only ensure my front sight is on cardboard, and I have a hit. If the rear sight is even close, it is an "A" hit. It may be counter-intuitive, but the bigger gun is faster at times.

It may be counter-intuitive, but the bigger gun is faster at times.

I agree. Kinda like the long-barreled revolvers we used to shoot at bowling pins....at 25 feet! There was even one summer when I shot pins with a 10-5/8" barreled Silhouette Model 29. (Everybody called it the "John Holmes gun").

:blink: I was geting at maybe some of you guys new of aplace to shop for a 625 other than aution arms

or gunsamerica on line

Jim Sailors custom <_<

Jim, there's a gun show in DSM next weekend at the fairgrounds...I'll keep my eyes open for you, if I see a screamin' deal on a nice used 625, I'll grab it for you. Both of my match 625s were used guns I picked up at the same gun show!

Keep watching gunbroker, I just snagged a 4" ANIB 625 for $450. (I didn't own a 4", so I'm keeping that one for myself in case I ever decide to shoot ESR somewhere...) Also, I've purchased 625s from people on the S&W forum, you might check over there, they turn up pretty regularly.