Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pick an IPSC  Production gun

sfinney

A down loaded .40 for production is VERY smooth.  Plus ( like Steve said) you get to shoot it in Limited 10 also.  

If you are looking for 'something new' I can't imagine you wouldn't go right to a glock.  Some home done polishing/tuning can make the trigger sweet.  I'm sure you know that if you choose a glock and reload you have to get a supported barrel.  But you can get a .40 ( I would get a g35 )  and barrel for in the 700 dollar range.  The difference is the g35 is a proven winner.  The others are not as prevelant in IPSC.  

If the trigger is a problem Custom Glock Racing does an impressive job.  It isn't cheap, but it IS worth it.

I've had no fewer than 6 or 7 Glocks over the years, and still have my first one, a G19. I've tried Glocks in Limited on and off since @ 95, and I just can't seem to get it right....(I guess I'm just not willing to rewire my mind to the Glock platform; I think I could deal with the trigger, if it would just INDEX right, instead of high - I'm used to 1911s POA)

I shot Berettas extensively when I was in the military, so I'm used to those..... I've shot CZ/EAA  type guns years ago and like the way they index, and the triggers aren't bad when tuned..... and the new XD just "fits" my hand/index (as far as I can tell)......

Let me emphasise that I LOVE my G19, for a carry gun, for some reason the compact glocks index fine for me; so I'm not bashing Glocks... they are great tools.

I just know what hasn't worked for me in the past, even though I'm not sure whats going to work for me now :)

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

Shooter40,

I was shooting a CZ75 with the Safariland 560 (or whatever number that custom fit holster is) at our local steel matches a few years ago when TGO approached me and said that there was going to be a production division and that the CZ75 would be a very good gun for it.  Ever since then I have had the zany idea in my head that the CZ just might be a good production gun!

-jhgtyre

I'd definitely go with the XD. I used a G35 for two years in USPSA matches and then switched to the 1911. I recently bought an XD40 and it's a huge improvement on the Glock. It's trigger is cleaner and resets faster. Accuracy and reliability are great, as are the ergos. Fired cases don't have that "belted magnum" look that is always a Glock concern when reloading ammo and lead bullets shoot great in the XD for practice. Reloads are very fast due to the beveled magwell and tapered mags. I'd say the 5" XD would be a kick butt Production blaster. The XD is my second choice as a carry gun to the 1911 of anything on the market I've owned or shot yet (and that's most of them).

Quote: from John Thompson on 7:50 am on Aug. 25, 2002

The solution is simple albeit aq bit expensive: Buy lots of guns and shoot them in all the divisions.  Then decide what you don't like and sell those guns to buy new guns to try out

Well, I took John's advice......  

I traded for a used 9mm Beretta Elite, with some hicaps...... and then I bought a Springfield XD 9mm for a song from a guy who wanted to trade it back in for a .40, but the shop wasn't giving him much.

SO, out to the range, and see what I like best..... hmmmm - I guess maybe I could keep both, regardless.... the XD was just so darn cheap!

I'll let you know what my final thoughts are  after shooting them a bunch.

(who knows maybe I'll by a CZ too, just to round the collection.... those CZ-40s (Colt project gone bad) seem like a neat design.)

Thanks all!

First Steve A. what are you talking about the Elite 1A slide being lighter? ??

I love the elite 2, but i now have a vertec, i am getting used to.. i think. after a lot of beretta shooting, it takes some changing to get "on" with the grip.

i am thinking about tricking up my vertec some, Speed bump, maybe an E2 hammer. (action work)

Glock 34 is the way to go, just pop in an 11-pound firing pin spring and it dropped my trigger pull down to 3lbs. One has to get the cadence...boom..click...boom...click...boom...click after a while it becomes second nature. And besides what other gun can shoot under water (that stage will be at the next nationals).

OK, thoughts so far - I've put a few hundred rounds through both the Beretta and the XD 9 at this point.

Beretta - reasonable accuracy, reliable, points well, but I'm having a probelm with the tradtional first shot DA pull under speed shooting conditions. This gun has some trigger work done, I'd guess a 7 lb DA pull, 3 SA. I'm either prepping the trigger to much in the draw and scaring the h#*ll out of myself, or pulling to hard,  to late and missing low left on the first shot. But in SA the gun rocks.

SA XD 9 - Ok, this gun may replace my Glock 19 as a carry piece. Indexes and points very 1911 like, what I'm used to. Grip ergonmics superb. Reliable. Accurate. Trigger very nice, better than Glock out of the box IMO (although the reset is slightly longer, I'm going to work on that). In short it shoots where I point it, works well, is cheap to shoot, and cheap to buy. Add in a few $20 factory mags, a $20 Kydex holster, and I'm in business.

Preliminary results: SA XD is the way to go.

ps - I borrowed a CZ 75 from a buddy, and shot it as well. Very accurate. first DA trigger pull horrendous. the SA pulls were decent. But after talking to him about maintenance,.....  I forgot that EAA / Tangfolio / CZ shooters always carried many spare parts to the range like slide stops, pins, trigger parts, because the tend to NEED them. Based on competition reliability history, I ruled out the CZ (I know, the 9mms don't break as much....if ever.  But the doubt would be there.)