Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade Scott-type grip

RAZZ

I am planning on getting some aluminum oxide abrasive from Brownells to make some Scott-type grips, but I'm not sure which grit level to use. Brownells has extra course, course and fine. The tech guy at Brownells said that he thought even the fine media was really course, but I'm not sure I was able to fully convey to him what I was going to use it for. Anyone know what SV uses?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...E+BLASTING+GRIT

type in page 2637 on the online Mcmaster Carr catalog and it references the grit size of the blasting media they have available. As for the grit size to what brownells offers? Your guess is as good as mine. Hope the chart gives you an idea on which blasting media to use.

Edited by yoshidaex

I made a grip with the 80-100 grit range and could not shoot with the grip. It was so rough that it would take a layer of skin off during each stage.

I have used arts and crafts colored sand and much finer grits with good results. If you have a local abrasives supplier, get a sample of a few grits from 200 - 600 and see what you like best.

Extra course if you get it from Brownells.

Really? Wow, the tech guy thought I'd be crazy using the coarse grit.

Unfortunately, Tallahassee must be the only town in the US that does not have the stuff locally. I already tried that route to get a small sample, but we have no chemicals / abrasives / sanding / hobby stores here that carry it, and none of the body shops use it for sandblasting media.

Extra course if you get it from Brownells.

Really? Wow, the tech guy thought I'd be crazy using the coarse grit.

Unfortunately, Tallahassee must be the only town in the US that does not have the stuff locally. I already tried that route to get a small sample, but we have no chemicals / abrasives / sanding / hobby stores here that carry it, and none of the body shops use it for sandblasting media.

If you can't find any, send me an e-mail to scott@springerprecision.com and I'll send you enough to do a grip.

Z Rider: I also have been using the shateboard tape for quite some time with good results, but I recently modified one of my grips by adding some contours in it. The skateboard tape doesn't work too well on non-flat surfaces, which is why I'm trying out the Scott grip idea.

SYME71: I'm not sure yet which adhesive I am going to use. I have a number of different kinds at the house, and I was planning on experimenting on an old trashed grip. Something that can be brushed on, that will still have a little flex to it when fully cured, and does not have too much bulk, seems to be what I would need.

LOVES2SHOOT: Thank you. That is a very kind offer, and I'll let you know if I strike out here.