Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Ammo

Heavy Metal Only

$500.00 Bucks for 1000 rounds!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! A year ago it was $200.00 delivered to my front door, Now its $500.00 Bucks!!!!!!!!! I shoot 3-gun I don't need match grade bullets, Its seems rare to shoot targets over 350 yards. Can we start a division with .22s? We could call it super extra wimmpy puss Division. :angry2:

I still remember when I used to be able to order Portugese ammo for $130/1000 SHIPPED. Once that dried up, it was South African for $180/850 w/o shipping. I've pretty much stopped shooting 3 gun matches since my supply of ammo has dwindled. I'm in California, so that doesn't help with getting an AR that's not neutered.

I haven't shot my heavy metal .308 since last year's Ky State 3 gun. This years Ky state is in one week. I'll shoot a side match this Sunday and that will be all the practice I "need". Ky State 3 gun may be ugly for me!

Dave

I still remember when I used to be able to order Portugese ammo for $130/1000 SHIPPED. Once that dried up, it was South African for $180/850 w/o shipping. I've pretty much stopped shooting 3 gun matches since my supply of ammo has dwindled. I'm in California, so that doesn't help with getting an AR that's not neutered.

Yup...I bought 8 crates of the port through AIM. Luckily I still have 3+ cases left in my garage :) The look on the face of the receptionist at work where it was delivered was priceless.

It strikes me that reloading .308 would be WAY cheaper, even accounting for your time. Assuming you have some brass, and even used premium components, it would run you about $270 for SMK heads, $30 for federal match primers, and $120 for 6lb of Varget. And thats the expensive way, Hornady 150gr FMJ will run about $120 and I'm sure you can find cheaper powder. No reason you should be able to load 1000 rounds for around $250. You could even buy once fired brass for about $120 and not pick it up and you'll still be under $400 with shipping and everything. Even if you have to buy dies and shell plates those will still bring you under the price of factory for the first 1k.

Edited by Vlad