Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 1 & Area 2 Boundrys

TheOtherErik

Glancing throught the minuits of the last BOD meeting in the current issure of Front Sight, I came across some motions of a proposed boundy change betweeen A1 and A2 and a possible addition of an Area 9?!?. Anybody have any idea of what the proposals were and why? I think the current boundys are ok.... but A1 is rather large. If it aint broke dont fix it... right? However, if there had to be a change and I had my way New Mexico would move to A4, Colorado would go to A3 or A4 and A2 would get Nevada and Utah. Seems logical to me, even up the actual size of the areas...

About a year back, the SCs and clubs of Colorado submitted a petition to USPSA, asking to be moved to Area-2. Their desire to be part of Area-2 is based in the premise that they shoot with people from NM and AZ, they visit clubs in NM and AZ, and are more likely to travel to the Area-2 match (in AZ) than to the Area-1 match, which "always" seems to be in the Northwest (and, therefore, is too far away to conveniently drive to).

We (the USPSA Board) are trying to figure out what to do about it. If we "just" move Colorado to Area-2, we make Area-2 (which is already one of the largest Areas in terms of numbers of members) the most populous Area by far... at a time when we are trying to keep the Areas somewhat "balanced". Additionally, if we move Colorado, we are not sure whether the shooters of Utah or Nevada would also want to make a change - when the Areas were first formed "way back when", there was a lot of talk about a 9th Area, composed of the "four corners" states, plus Nevada. We looked at revisiting that concept, but put it aside for now because of the budget impacts that adding a 9th Area would have. But, it *does* make some sense, geographically.

My own opinion is that it ain't broke... but we're taking the petition seriously, and trying to come up with an approach that both deals with the concerns of the Colorado shooters and doesn't adversely affect the rest of USPSA....

Bruce Gary (Area-1 director)

Maybe the Colorado shooters should think about becoming more involved in Area 1 by hosting an Area Match, hint, hint...

Ron, find me a range other than Montrose that can handle an Area match I will be more than happy to host an Area match. If I were to get more involved I would be divorced or kicked out of the military.

We have made great progress in Pueblo as far as range improvements and props go, but we aren’t ready for an Area match. Depending on how the Mile High Showdown goes this Labor Day will determine how far forward Lizard and I will lean for the next couple years.

Several Colorado shooters approached Randy Boss the Western Colorado SC and myself about Colorado being in Area 1 when most of us shoot the Area 2 match. As Colorado will most likely not host an Area match for the next several years it made sense to ask the USPSA board to look into moving us and maybe create a four corners area. Also with California being a 10 round state Area 2 was also in a pinch. There was a lot more to it, but you get the idea. Bruce is working with us. If it does not happen its no big deal. Some will travel to the ends of the earth for an Area match and others wont.

If I can answer any more questions, feel free to contact me while I am still in town. Where were my desert flight suits again? I knew I should have left all my desert stuff in Kabul....

Tom Freeman

SC, Eastern Colorado

California isnt a "10 round state" Like Hawaii. We can own and use Hicap mags we allready have, we just cant by "new" pre-ban mags. Getting new guns is a diffrent story, the must be on the state's aproved list. So what "pinch" is Area 2 in. California lacks major matches is simply because nobody wants to go throught the effort of putting them on and most wont come form out of state because the are affraid of having their mags taken away.

Jeez, is that another 5 bucks I owe you, Vince? Can we just add it to my tab?

Bruce

PS to Tom - I'm trying to find a way to fit the Colorado State match into my work schedule. Do you happen to know if there is still room in the match?