Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi-caliber powders and primers? 223, 22-250, 308.

Riley

I'm just starting to gather componants, don't have a press yet, and I'm trying to find a good rifle powder for 223, 22-250 and 308 at the outside. Trying to get some stocked up as a hedge against price increases.

Mainly 223 as that's my volume caliber, but I'm trying to keep things simple. Not looking for benchrest accuracy, but factory level.

223 in an AR with 55-62gr FMJ's

22-250 50gr V-Max

308 165ish A-Max etc

I was settled on Varget, due to it being a know performer and reletively temp stable in the three calibers. Now after spending some time here, I'm hearing there is a lot of trouble metering it. Planning on a 550B.

I shoot from 100* in the summer and 30 or less in the winter, though not so much in the winter.

Any suggestions on another powder that will work for what I want? Should I just save Varget for the 22-250 and 308 as I won't be loading tons of those, and get something specific for 223?

Primers for the larger two? I would think that they'd be the same due to case size and such.

Thanks! Lots of good info on this site.

Edited by Riley

The trouble metering is a myth (at least in my 50k of loading Varget on my 650). Personally I think it stems from poor reloading technique than poor metering. My SD's are in the single digits, going smooth (and definitely not SLOW).

Rich

P.S. Loading Varget for my 69gr. SMK loads. Tac-drivers is an understatement.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Just be smooth. Whatever you are doing, just do it the same every time. When adjusting bullet seating depth, put cases on the other stations as it kinda levels out the shellplate.

As for primers, I'm just using WSR since it's what I use in my 38 Super and .40 S&W loads. No need to over complicate things.

Rich

4895 WILL work in both 223 and 308 (I have no experience with 22-250), however I found it to be VERY dirty in 223. 4895 is my powder of choice for 308 in my AR-10. For 223 55 grainers I use 748, Ive tried other powders and keep coming back to it. A lot will depend on what your particular rifles like.

Ed

Not too picky, as long as it functions my AR.

Looking to end up with a load approximating American Eagle, but probably with a 60ish grain FMJ bullet in 223. It's a plinker but also my social rifle. I'll be a little more picky with the 22-250 and 308 when/if I get there just do to volume.

Thanks.

Another vote for Varget. I'm getting excellant results loading the 69 SMK in my AR and loading 175 SMK in my .308 Remington LTR. I weigh charges for the .308 since it is used for 600 yard prone but the charges as thrown are quite consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no experience loading for a 308, but I've used W748 and BLC-2 in both my 223 AR and my 22-250 Rem 700. Both work well, but I've settled on BLC-2 because I can buy it in bulk for a little bit less than W748.

Both powders are reported to work well for 308.

I use Remington 6.5 primers in the AR (223) and Remington 9.5 primers in the 22-250.

Allan

Edited by aedavis