Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arredondo +5 pads and the 20th round, cut a coil?

Aristotle

I'm noticing with my Arredondo +5 pads, the 20th bullet is actually sitting a little higher than usual in the magazine and is hitting the bottom of my slide when it's seated. I have to slam the bottom of the pad to seat the mag properly.

I've already had to sand the shoulders of the pad so that it seats better, but I know it's the bullet now keeping it from seating more easier because my bullet is flattening out where the bullet is hitting the bottom of the slide. If I only put 19 rounds, it seats just fine and does not stick up higher than usual in the mag.

Is there anything I can do to keep the 20th round from being pushed out so far in the mag? Can I get away with cutting a coil off my spring in my mag to reduce the tension?

gun is a : Glock 35

magwell: Dawson Ice

Arrendondo mag pad kit w/spring

Edited by Aristotle

Same experience here. I switched from my new 15 round mags to "used" LEO 15 rounders from CDNN. The follower is different. Anyway 20+1 is no problem with them. I use the new ones for L10 and some production.

Jim

Same experience here. I switched from my new 15 round mags to "used" LEO 15 rounders from CDNN. The follower is different. Anyway 20+1 is no problem with them. I use the new ones for L10 and some production.

Jim

I have a mix of brand new mags and LEO mags I am using. They appear to be doing it to all of them.

It could be a break-in issue. My Dawson would only take 19 rounds for a while, but now holds 20. I have 2 Taylor pads that are older and still only good for 19 rds. I haven't tried different mag bodies.

I think it depends a lot on the tubes you have.

The old squared tubes (I also got mine used from CDNN) hold 20 a lot easier than new production tapered mags. Adding a +1 NHO follower makes it a little easier still. I always cut a coil. Just because they're marked "LEO" doesn't mean that they are old style tubes, especially in the last year or so. It's easy to see the difference between old style mags and new mags, just see if they're tapered more at the top. I just ordered used LEO mags because I figured they were more likely to be older, and 90% of them were (also in almost unused condition). I haven't seen CDNN have the used LEO mags in quite a while. Any new LEO mags I've ever ordered have all been new production.

I haven't found any combo using Arredondo or Dawson extensions that I would trust to be reloadable under pressure unless they've been used quite a bit, and honestly I still wouldn't try it. I must admit that I'm pretty hardcore about making sure I don't create potential equipment problems for myself or my wife (she shoots the Glock), so she starts at 20+1 and reloads to 19 round mags (generally new production tubes). So far having 40 rounds available instead of 41 hasn't been a problem. She also shoots minor, so getting 20 rounds to function 100% is a bit more difficult than it is with major loads. Using 10 round Wilson .38 Super mags in my ESP gun several years ago definitely made me pretty wussy about reloading to mags that need extra/superhuman ;) effort to seat.

If you can get 20+1 to run 100% to start, and an easily reloadable 19 rounds to finish with, I'd call it good and concentrate on the shooting :)

Heres the setup to make them run 21+1.

* Custom lenght ISMI spring

* Customised Glock follower

* Arredondo +5 Pad

* Glock .40 Magazine

post-8116-1187219654.jpg

This setup runs perfectly and never had any mag related malfunctions. ;)

Edited by TKJ

Aristotle,

I forgot to mention over on Glocktalk but I use springs from Arredondo & I use them just like they come. They are Wolf brand springs, I believe, but supposedly Wolf makes or has them made special. I bought some straight from Wolf once & they didn't last any time at all. Maybe a couple of months. I just order from Arredondo now. I don't know what the difference is but they last all season, or they have the last two years, anyway. I buy the big pack & just change all mine at once. Saves trouble & concern & costs about $50 total. A price I can live with for peace of mind. YMMV. MLM