zhunter

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pure big sticks

is she strong handed or weak handed?

She's weak.

Did ShortStack send in Hank Ellis as a ringer, yes or no?

No, none like Mr. Whitey.

Will the Barrister ever get an avatar?

I can only hope

By next week or next month

Sky Diver or Water Diver
Done both. Different buzz for different reasons.

Skydiving is high speed precision. The buzz here is as soon as your feet leave the aircraft you're dead. Now it's up to you and only you to save yourself. The black humor of skydiving is part and parcel of the sport. We often joke that where else can you pay money, get in an airplane, jump out of it, and 15 seconds from hitting the ground you throw out strings and cloth and hope it saves your miserable butt. Even after you get a good canopy over your head its not over. Steering to a safe landing is up to the pilot and a judgemental error can result you being dead or worse. Even still skydivers have a group that we think is 'out there'. BASE jumpers. All in all, skydiving is a relatively safe sport as long as you follow the safety rules and use good judgement. Gear failure is very rare.

Scuba diving is closest to being on another planet or doing a spacewalk without being shot off into space. Everything happens in slow motion as you are in a mediium that is 100s of times denser than air. The animals down there can give fiction writers material for a lifetime. Some can change sex depending where they are on the pecking order. Some sharks bite, some sharks won't, and some can't due to being plankton eaters. The only time I've been bitten underwater was from a little damselfish that was protecting its nest. Big bumbling me invaded its turf and didn't know it. As for the dangers. The animals down there are afraid of you. To them you are a big, noisy, bubble blowing intrusion into their space. Forget about them. The gear more or less works as advertised as long as its maintained. The medical aspects is what I had a worry about. Even if you did everything right you could still get DCS and a trip to the chamber. A lot of it is a roll of the dice. I have a much greater appreciation of Mother Earth due to my diving. Too bad my scuba days are over. See post 2559 of this thread for details.

Let's just say, I like to dive ;)

I REALLY want to skydive tho

Tandem or solo?

Solo.

After 1800 or so jumps a buddy of mine was getting his tandem rating. Part of that is you have to take 5 or 10 experienced skydivers as passengers to build experience and be critiqued. I said sure I'll be a passenger. Bad decision. The problem is I was experienced. I had no controls so I was along for the ride. Having none of the handles put me out of my confort zone as I wasn't in control of what I was doing. Now for a first time jumper tandem is great. But I consider tandem the extreme sport version of the carnival pony ride. Yeah you were on a pony but you really didn't ride a horse. You want to skydive go AFF. Around 50 seconds of freefall and you pull the ripcord. There will be 2 instructors at your side to help you along but you do the work. Go to www.uspa.org for DZ near you.

Back to shooting.

Trap, skeet, or sporting clays.