Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealership Service people

Merlin Orr

My easy solution for getting work on my non-warrantied cars is to take it to my mechanic who also happens to be a shooter. He has reloading questions , gun problems or wants to do something to his guns, I am his "Mechanic." I take care of his guns and he takes care of my cars and I never question what he charges me or worry that I am getting bent over.

Neal in AZ

But where in the SV resides such a creature?

I am VERY certain that I should feel lucky that things went as well as they did. I also think there may be a remote possibility that the service manager may give pause to consider should the same circumstance arise with another customer in the future.

Huh? They told you they determined a battery was bad, replaced it at full retail, told you they were wrong but would not reverse the sale based on this representation?

You can have some fun filing a small claims case - you may even be able to supoena the person you dealt with and the person who did the actual work to come in to the courthouse and wait, and wait, and wait for the case to be heard - and not even have to pay their hourly rate. You may even win.

hi Merlin,

I am sticking to they are bad mechanics,

I am adding that they also have poor management over them.

(defending them?)

Your oldbadnogood batteries should have been charged as part of testing the charging system.

this should have happened during the initial diagnostics.

More or less, they did not test the battery at all. They replaced them.

So telling you your battery was bad is ...ummm... an indication that they

did not do their job before telling you it was bad.

Depending on how you feel about your time,

small claims court is about the only way you have to get them

to rebate the bill.

I would tell them the price of the new battery

and all the labor is a satisfactory amount.

(256 dollars?)

That part was sold under false pretenses.

(that they had diagnosed the battery's condition)

miranda

You don't need no stinking machine. Pull the neg term at the battery when the car/truck is running. If it keep running then the alt is prob okay. If it dies then it's bad. There is some margin for error where the alt is working enough to keep the car running, but not enough to charge the bat and run the vehicle. I've never had that happen to me though and have tested many this way.

JT

Merlin...if i were you i would call and schedule a meeting with the owner,or general manager,and explain your side of the story..they did not diagnois your problem to begin with. i can't get into another persons way on how they do busniess, but,if the same scenario happened here,we would first dissconnect each battery and charge each one seperate..that alone may take up to 2 hrs to do..it's not real good to just "zap" charge a battery..then check the battery with a good battery tester that checks all the system and not just the battery..yes you may have had to pay for the battery test,but as long as the battery has not boiled out all of the acid and or damaged by having loose or bad plates,then it should be able to be recharged...i'd forget about the BBB..small claims ?? yes it pays,sometimes,seen it work both ways..in your case?? you should be able to get the battery money back,or i woiuld go back and talk to the owner of the place and if he said nothing,be sure to mention what it is going to cost him to send the service advisor and tech off to court for a day..if that happened here..i would refund the money for the batteries,say yup your right ..that tech was a dipsh## and i'll teach him who to check a battery all over again...battery's can do funny things...see, we do state inspections on vehicles here,around 250 to 400 per month...part of the inspection is to turn on your headlights and check all the lights,well guess how many times a month we get blaimed for a battery goin bad after a customer turns on their lights for 1 min and the car won't start...hehehe..it costs to keep a vehicle running... <_<

Edited by GmanCdp