Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special loads - 2" barrel & 8" barrel

ButchW

I need to load up some 38 special target loads for my cousins to practice and get the kids involved.

Both have S&W 2" barrel revolvers and 686 8 3/8 barrel and a Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw 7.5" barrel.

I have Bullseye, 2400, N350, Win Ball Powder, Unique.

Any good tested target loads anyone with any of the above?

Bullets I have handy are 148 DEWC (about 142 grain due to hardness) & 158 SWC (about 152 grains)

I have no problem doing short barrel loads & load barrel load in separate ammo cans for them in that is a better way to go.

Thanks,

Butch

I like bullseye loads in the .38 special. I always used wad cutters for a model 52.

2400 is normally for heftier magnum loads.

I am sure a search on atk's website would lead you to where you want to go. Since you are not worried about powerfactor, just pick the one you can spare the most of and load some up.

The classic (1960's/70's era) PPC .38 wadcutter load used Bullseye.

148 grain lead wadcutter (hollow base)

2.7 grains Bullseye

Federal Small Pistol Primer #100

mixed brass

Velocity: 740 FPS from 6" custom Douglas bull-barreled .38 special revolver @ 10'

I also have some data using Bullseye with 158 grain lead bullets

3.5 grains Bullseye

Federal Small Pistol Primer #100

mixed brass

Velocity: 825 FPS from 4" barrel S&W Model 10. .38 special revolver

NOTE: these loads were with the older Hercules Bullseye powder, not with the current production Alliant Bullseye powder. I have been told that the new powder is cleaner burning, but I have not used it myself. Velocities and pressures should still be the same.

As always, YMMV

wow - bullseye used to be even dirtier? all that black soot on my guns and hands cleans up easy though. it's the only one you listed i have used for lead bullet .38s, but it worked really well.

I found in my snubs i needed a little more powder to stabilize the wadcutters. the standard load got 650ish fps, and the load got accurate in the 750 fps range, about what is stated for a longer barrel. i'm using a slight overload of red dot, but it's still quieter and softer than factory ammo.

i also tried loading a dozen hbwc's backwards to blow up water jugs with - they went sideways!

i also tried loading a dozen hbwc's backwards to blow up water jugs with - they went sideways!

My father, to proof a point once, loaded a bunch of 148 WC made from pure wheel weight without adding any extra tin. Then oil quenched the bullets out of the mold to make them a little harder.

In 25 yard targets the bullets were coming apart into usually a big chunk and a few fragments. And they were 700-800 ish.

It is amazing what we do with our reloads.

Looks like Bullseye wins. It has been a long time since I did 38 or 357 reloading and back then it was with wood trays, lever action powder measure and manually crimping the bullets with a die & plastic hammer. It is going to feel really weird setting up the 650.

Thanks everyone.

Although I've personaly not used Bulleye(because when I first started reloading I read what happened when you got a double charged with it. I've used UNIQUE, WAP(WINCHESTER ACTION PISTOL) and now I use HODGENS TITEGROUP and I also think that N320 would work. I use N320 in my 40 s&w 180 precison bullets.

Larry

I've used UNIQUE, WAP(WINCHESTER ACTION PISTOL) and now I use HODGENS TITEGROUP and I also think that N320 would work. I use N320 in my 40 s&w 180 precison bullets.

Larry

Do you have any descent low power target loads with Unique or Titegroup or N320?

I have 8+ lbs. of unique. I will be ordering 8lb of Titegroup and I may have a 1lb of 320 upstairs. Vih. powders in 9 always seem pretty hot and some are close to compressed load, so I don't think about having them around unless I am doing JHP expansion tests.

Butch