Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Powder rain"

I just started loading .308 on my 550B. I am using Top Brass once-fired and H4895 powder. The problem is that when I move a cartridge down from the powder die, some extra powder spills out. The amount seems to vary. Sometimes if I move the handle very slowly there is no spilling.

Should I be using the "oversized powder die" or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

I have the same problem when loading 223. I have fixed this by tapping the handle when it is down all the way. this shakes any powder remaining in the measure that would fall out from vibration of cycling. I don't know if it helps actually or if it is just luck.

This is not unheard of with extruded powder. Try pulling the handle down at a slower pace; it should take about one second to move the powder bar from one side to another. It can help to polish the interior of the powder funnel where powder enters the top. Bridging occurs when too much large granuled powder tries to fall through too small of a hole, creating a log jam.

i would get some one else to run the press so you can watch everything very closely ... I think it could be many things like check that its shaking to much (not mounted firmly).. also check where exactly its comming from... every time i have a power spill was a symptom of a problem .... good times breaking in a new press

Edited by TheBlackSheep

I think it was a combination of several things mentioned above. I managed to significantly reduce, but not completely eliminate, the problem, by:

1) Moving the handle more slowly, and staying for a second with the handle completely down (i.e. the case up in the powder measure)

2) Adjusting the powder die so that the powder bar is moved to its end position just as the handle reaches the bottom of the pull. I had it set up to bottom out sooner, which I suppose meant too much powder coming in too fast through too small a hole.

3) Deburring the case mouths.

I still don't get very good consistency though. With the same case, i get variations of about 0.2 gr.

Are there powders that meter better with 308s?

I think it was a combination of several things mentioned above. I managed to significantly reduce, but not completely eliminate, the problem, by:

1) Moving the handle more slowly, and staying for a second with the handle completely down (i.e. the case up in the powder measure)

2) Adjusting the powder die so that the powder bar is moved to its end position just as the handle reaches the bottom of the pull. I had it set up to bottom out sooner, which I suppose meant too much powder coming in too fast through too small a hole.

3) Deburring the case mouths.

I still don't get very good consistency though. With the same case, i get variations of about 0.2 gr.

Are there powders that meter better with 308s?

OOPS, double posted, sorry.

Edited by elenius