Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling precision bullets

elenius

I asked David Long of Precision Bullets whether it would be ok to tumble the loaded rounds (to get the case lube off). I started doing this with plated bullet loads, and they come out oh so shiny. He recommended against it since it might hurt the coating. So I was wondering if anyone here is actually doing this, and what your experiences are.

i recall seeing on here somewhere if you tumble the loaded precision rounds, you end up with tumbling media that won't be good anymore. i tried searching but can't seem to find that specific post.

I'm sitting here looking at a round that went through the tumbler by accident with dirty brass. It tumbled for 6-8 hours. I really cannot tell much of a difference between that round and a new bullet. Even if it made the exposed surface finish dull, IMHO most (if not all) of the bearing surface of the round is protected by the brass anyway.

YMMV

dj

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced reloaders have told me tumbling can grind away the coatings in powder, which are there to adjust the burning speed, and break the powder grains, both of which change the burning speed. So you will get irregularities, and even dangerous overpressures, especially with rifle ammo loaded with slow powders in big cartridge where the powder has space to move around and grind itself. Depends largely on the powder type, but in general its not advisable to tumble ammo, at least for hours...