Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejector retaining pin on a STI

cking

I was looking at a STI frame and noticed that the retaining pin hole for ejector is larger. The Dawson site shows a roll pin for this application.

I'm not a lover of rollpins, but has anybody had any problems with this? What size is it?

Tnanks in advance

I have seen & owned several STI/SV guns with the ejector NOT PINNED. This was intentional. THe gunsmith did not want them pinned. Point is, pinning the ejector is OPTIONAL. Our host prefers to pin them in place. But, you should never let a loose or unpinned ejector stop you from shooting or attending a match; and solid vs. roll pin is meaningless when talking about a completely optional part.

Pinning may well be optional, but is advisable, particularly with open guns. Solid ejector installation is the key to consistent ejection performance. I fit my ejectors so that they are rock solid. You can fit the ejector so that's solid prior to pinning, or leave it a little loose and set it so that the pin pulls it in guttentight. I do both.

My brass ejects very consistently this way. I would set up an open gun exactly the same way.

I wouldn't worry about a roll pin, but would prefer the solid pin just for ease of installation and removal. Call Chuck.

Edited by EricW

+1 to EricW.

I broke an ejector during my last big match, but other than catching sight of brass flying where it didn't normally fly, the gun kept running.

Later, when I replaced it, the roll pin proved to be something I wouldn't have wanted to replace at a match. I put a solid pin in immediately.