Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cracked comp

Rckymtnshooter

I have an STI Trubor with a cracked comp. The comp has been thinned and lightened. The gun has not had a lot of rounds through it and the barrel is in good shape. I'm thinking about having the comp machined off, barrel threaded and a new titanium comp installed. Anyone out there done anything similar.

I have an STI Trubor with a cracked comp. The comp has been thinned and lightened. The gun has not had a lot of rounds through it and the barrel is in good shape. I'm thinking about having the comp machined off, barrel threaded and a new titanium comp installed. Anyone out there done anything similar.

I haven't done anything like that but I've had a comp crack. I just had it welded.

You could then clean up the weld, or not and keep shooting it.

When I had it done the comp worked fine afterwards.

IMO that would be the cheapest thing to do unless you just want a different comp.

Gary

If you decide to stay with the same barrel and want to install a replacement comp, consider leaving the cone intact since that is fitted to your slide. Have you smith cutoff the comp leaving sufficient material past the slide, then cut down the OD of the barrel (limited to a section that extends past the slide) and thread it to .685" - 40 tpi. This will allow the installation of comps designed for hybrid barrels / barrels with conversion cones.

Bill

edited due to piss poor spelling on first draft.

Edited by Flatland Shooter