Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38superman

On the subject of those of us who are Pro Sx orphans who are having trouble with the shortages of our favorite components, I've gotten around to a bit more testing of additional permutations of what we can use.

Like most of us who have 38 Super Pro Sx's, I much prefer the combination of a Zero 125jhp over top of N105 (10.6g in my case makes a nice 170+ pf and shoots nice and flat. However, I've recently had to play with other combinations based upon what we can get right now.

Using MG 124jhp's over top of 4756 just isn't a nice load. Getting to 170 pf makes the gun really snappy and not enjoyable to shoot at all. I've been using this combo for local matches, hovering around 166 pf, knowing I'm making major but not having the stress of having to prove it across any set of conditions and chrono that happens to be thrown out there.

I just got some 3N38 to play with, since it's now readily available, and the results are very promising. 10.2g under a MG bullet gets me 170 pf and it seems to shoot very well. It has a bit of a slap in the palm but shoots very flat. The dot is also a lot more consistent than the 4756 at the 166 pf. Admittedly, I didn't shoot more than around 20 of each of my test loads but, as I said, it's pretty encouraging.

NOTE: all of my pf data comes from a warmed gun. I shoot my test loads over my chrono in a gun that is as warm as it would be 5 minutes after shooting a field course. The major matches that I wind up shooting each year (A8 and Summer Blast) chrono this way. On a side note, a windy 45 degree day makes testing back to back loads pretty easy since the gun never really gets super hot.

I would encourage other Pro Sx orphans to share any data and opinions for new loads that they've tried.

I guesstimated a starting load based upon 3N38 loads published here for Zeros and my known differences between MG and Zero in pf at the same powder charge. I was patting myself on the back for getting the charges right on the first try.

I started with 9.8g - here's what I got

Charge/Mean PF

9.8g/166

10.0/168.5

10.2/170

Yep, there was flash and lots of it on an overcast day. I can't comment beyond that since, with just my test loads, I was doing a lot of watching the dot but a little of 'hey, look at that flash' but I don't think it would be terribly distracting. I'm guessing you can either get used to it or not...depends on your personal pref. I will say that shooting in low light would be a challenge with this powder.

Did you notice any excessive flash?

Tony

Yes it does flash, sometimes big time! But, when I am shooting I don't really notice it. The guys I am shooting with sure do.

Edited by nhglyn

FWIW - I've shot 4756 in the dark and observed no flash. Watching from the side (w/ someone else shooting it) you can see some dark flame in the comp, but that's it. 3N38, on the other hand, flashes brightly in some guns on just about every shot - but some guns just do that, too (check out videos of DJPolo shooting - I don't think he can feed anything made with VV powders to that Dawson gun of his that won't flash, or so it seems - same loads don't flash at all in my previous race gun).

Personally, I notice the fireballs, and while I can effectively ignore them, they're still a distraction, because they tend to be random. I'd rather see the same thing each time, and not have the visual disturbance. That said, I'll be trying out 3N38 in my Pro Series gun shortly after DTC just to see what it does ;)

• 3 months later...
4756 is simply far too bulky for 9x19 Major. Heck, my .38 Supercomp major load barely fits in a case (much like N105) ;)

I'll add an additional impression, since I've been running 4756 for a few thousand rounds, now.... This stuff is CLEAN. I thought 7625 was clean... and I thought N350 was clean at old major. 4756, at current major, makes them both look dirty. Seems to be plenty accurate, as well, in my gun (1/2" groups at 45 yards w/ a MG 121, currently).

Mind a starting load? I have a Clark .38 super with fully supported bbl. The Hogdon loading data doesn't go beyond 115grFMC.

thanks,

Wayne

There are precious few Open gun major PF loads that show up in a load manual. This thread contains some folks' starting points, and there are other threads that can be found via the search function.

4756 is somewhat lot dependant - you might have a fast or slow batch. With a 124/125gr bullet, OAL of 1.235", consider starting around 8.0gr, and work up. You might have to work up significantly, depending on your gun and batch of powder.

My current load w/ a Zero 125gr bullet, and my current batch of powder, is 9.2gr. It makes 171 PF at last chrono'ing ;) My current batch is pretty slow...

There are precious few Open gun major PF loads that show up in a load manual. This thread contains some folks' starting points, and there are other threads that can be found via the search function.

4756 is somewhat lot dependant - you might have a fast or slow batch. With a 124/125gr bullet, OAL of 1.235", consider starting around 8.0gr, and work up. You might have to work up significantly, depending on your gun and batch of powder.

My current load w/ a Zero 125gr bullet, and my current batch of powder, is 9.2gr. It makes 171 PF at last chrono'ing ;) My current batch is pretty slow...

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

Once I dry up 300 bullets of Horn. 160 gr FMJTC, 350 of Sierra 170gr FMC, and 300 rds of 125gr .355 Speer FMC, I can actually order some zero bullets and load for the long term. At the current price of fmc bullets cant afford not to shoot this stuff up!

But will run the 125 gr in some practice loads and run them over the chrono with the 4756.. just bought a 1/2 lb can to try.

Start at 8.0 with that OAL, and build from there.

Thank you,

Wayne