Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1050 Question

Suches

I just graduated from a 550B to a new 1050. I've never worked with an auto casefeeding and indexing machine before. So here's my dumb question: since the cases feed and index automatically, how do I work with just one station, like adjusting the powder charge? In the 550, you can have just one case on the shellplate, and can remove and replace it as many times as needed without affecting anything else. Do I have to turn the casefeeder off and empty the casefeed tube? That's kind of a hassle for making routine checks like powder charge and OAL.

Like I said, probably a dumb question. Thanks for the help.

Start with the case feeder empty, just do not turn on the case feeder.

Drop one piece of brass and make your adjustments.

You can check powder charges prior to bullet placement by removing the retaining pin, weigh, refill & replace the case.

Edited by 9x21

You can also pull the case loading ram back and place a case into the slot so that the spring cannot return it. At this point the casefeeder is completely disabled and you can easily enable and disable it by removing and replacing the case.

For routine checks like powder charge and OAL, I pull the case from the station; for powder, from the seat station, for OAL, from the crimp station, measure it, put it back and cycle the handle.

If you want to adjust, then it's best to clear the shellplate, pull the pins and move cases back manually. It is possible to kick the shellplate backwards a station, but you run a risk of squibs or double-charges or double-primers.

When I clear the shellplate, I dump any unprimed rounds back into the casefeeder, and primed ones I dump the powder from and feed back into the powder station after the casefeeder runs out of brass.

You can also pull the case loading ram back and place a case into the slot so that the spring cannot return it. At this point the casefeeder is completely disabled and you can easily enable and disable it by removing and replacing the case.

I'm learing the 1050 too.

i get the idea but i need a picutre. I'm not sure how to do that.

I have been holding it by hand thinking of how i could make a small bracket to clip on the back black box that hold the spring with a hook on the side to grab the bolt/guide on the right side to hold it open for me.

Edited by dstroyed

When facing the press, there is a slot on the right side of the case feeder ram where the cam engages the roller. Pull the ram back (towards yourself) and slide an empty case lengthwise into the slot, to to keep the roller in the rearward position. The casefeeder cannot push any cases onto the shellplate without the ability to slide forward and the case disables it completely. Merely remove the case and the feeder is operational again.

When facing the press, there is a slot on the right side of the case feeder ram where the cam engages the roller. Pull the ram back (towards yourself) and slide an empty case lengthwise into the slot, to to keep the roller in the rearward position. The casefeeder cannot push any cases onto the shellplate without the ability to slide forward and the case disables it completely. Merely remove the case and the feeder is operational again.

Mr. L9X25, your advice answered my question perfectly. I thank you very much. I adjusted my powder charge and other dies accordingly, including my RCBS competition die, and loaded about 2200 rounds in about 3 hours, despite a few of glitches (some mine, some new machine).

I encountered 2 problems: the occasional missing or sideways primer (on the 550, I could a 'feel'' a primer misfeed), and occasional upside down brass in the case feeder.

This thing has the potential to be pretty amazing.

A possible solution for the occasional missing or sideways primer is to add a little weight to the primer follower rod. The perfect way to do this is to slide a fired .45 ACP case over the top of the follower rod. It fits perfectly and adds the perfect amount of weight.

What caliber are you reloading?

For 9x19 make sure you are using the white plastic spacer in the case feeder funnel. The cases are so short that they can tumble before they reach the narrow part of the funnel and cause the occasional upside down case.