Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV320 and Precision 185 Loads

Micah

It's high time that I start playing with your fellas in Limited! In your opinion, what are some good load suggestions for Precision 185's out of a Glock 22? I was thinking of using VV320 since I have plenty on hand.

Thanks,

Micah B

**Edit to add** If you think 185's blow, what else would you suggest?

...and I swear that I did a complete search first!

How about.... a search??? :D (saw the comment re: doing a search... I swear there are things out there)

There's a bunch of folks shooting somewhat similar combos here... PBs will require less powder than a jacketed bullet - typically .5gr less.

The only concern that I know of in stock Glock barrels is potential gunking when using the PB stuff - though I've seen reports of no trouble, as well. AustinMike is also playing w/ 200gr bullets in aftermarket barrels - those shoot really nice, too. I believe he's using Universal Clays - N320 may be safe in those loads, as well, but needless to say need a U-die!

Jacketed would be the solution to leading - plated might work, too.

Also - Jeff Maas' loading data might have some starting points for things that'll get you rolling....

Edited by XRe

It's high time that I start playing with your fellas in Limited! In your opinion, what are some good load suggestions for Precision 185's out of a Glock 22? I was thinking of using VV320 since I have plenty on hand.

Thanks,

Micah B

**Edit to add** If you think 185's blow, what else would you suggest?

...and I swear that I did a complete search first!

Here are a few loads for PB, Zero's, MTG...http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ic=29792&hl=

(and wouldn't THOSE prices be nice...)

Micah - I haven't used any VV powders, but my 185 grain PBs are loaded over 4.4 grains of Bullseye and go about 880 fps from my 4" Steyr M40. I get single digit SDs, and there's only about 15 fps difference among Federal, Remington and Winchester brass. You'd probably make over 900 fps from your G22. As a point of reference, Alliant calls 4.5 grain of Bullseye a max load with 180 grain lead bullets, and shows a heavier charge with jacketed.

Micah,

The 185 Precisions are good bullets, no worries there. Will you be using the factory barrel? You may want to contact Dave at Precision and ask him about the interaction between his bullets and the polyfonal rifling. I don't think it's going to be a problem, but ask anyway.

Try to load your rounds no longer than 1.135" OAL. 4.0 grains of N320 should take you very close to major PF, but as Mike said, start at 3.8 and chrono.

Jeff Maass says that 4.0 grains of N320 in a round loaded with a 180gr Zero JHP at an OAL of 1.150" clocked a PF = 148.5 out of a G22. There's a starting point for ya'

Good luck!

To add to what Nelson just said..... It has been MY experence that a Precision Black bullet will usually take around .2 less powder than a jacketed or plated bullet to make the same PF... :)

Cheaper bullets + less powder = good idea!

Back when I was searching around for loads for use in my G22, I didn't see too much for N320. Seems like loads I saw were loaded long for S_I. I did try a few loads I saw out here with the 185 bullets, but I wasn't getting near major and I didn't feel comfortable pushing N320 higher. Universal Clays seemed a safer bet, especially since I also bought 200gr. bullets to try. What I like best in the G22 is 200gr. Precisions with 4.4 Universal Clays at 1.135". I've got a KKM barrel, which runs slower than stock.

I've been loading VV n320 in my sons STI Heavy slide long frame 40 for 5 yrs. I load 4.4 grs of N320 behind a Precision 180/185 bullet. The oal is 1.155 with a ww small rifle primer. It runs about a 176 pf in his gun. He used this gun to shoot 3rd place at the Texas State Limited match at age 16 and then came 2nd at the Area 4 champion ship behind Dick Burkhart a couple years later.

Larry

We ran a chrono today on vv 320 working up a load. Shooting 2 STI Edges,, my sons and mine, both guns were hitting the same numbers. That is nice so we only need one load for the both of us.

mixed brass but mostly R-P

WSP primers

VV 320

Precision 185 black bullets .40

OAL 1.145

4.5 grains = 175 pf

4.6 grains = 178 pf

A freind was shooting a STI Tactical working up loads with Universal Clays. He was hitting high 170 pf at 4.9 grains universal everything else the same as my loads. He loaded them on my press. I don't know how his gun shoots compared to ours, fast, slow or about same.

Of course, your milage may vary.

• 2 months later...

"We ran a chrono today on vv 320 working up a load. Shooting 2 STI Edges,, my sons and mine, both guns were hitting the same numbers. That is nice so we only need one load for the both of us."

"mixed brass but mostly R-P

WSP primers

VV 320

Precision 185 black bullets .40

OAL 1.145

4.5 grains = 175 pf

4.6 grains = 178 pf"

I ran Precision 185 and a lead 185 across the screens with my Edge. I used 4.5 grains of N-320 and both Power Factored at 175. Both showed very little SD. My OAL is 1.18.

Buddy

through a G35 and G22

G35: 4.6 gr of N320= 168pf

G22: 4.6 gr of N320= 170pf

G35: 4.2 gr of Titegroup= 169pf

G22: 4.2 gr of Titegroup= 172pf

All bullets with OAL of 1.13

More speed from a shorter barrel is very interesting.