Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 170gr precision bullets and 231

ReAX222

I don't have a chronograph, but I have done some work and have a load I really like. Since it seems there are a few asking for recipes for Precision, here you go.

Gun is a Glock 22 with a lonewolf barrel and a few other mods (like 17lbs recoil spring)

Cases are Federal Nt and Speer (some nickel plated, some brass)

CCI 500 Small pistol primers

Slowest load so far was 4.0grains of 231. I felt it was rather emasculated and didn't use it much past the 50 I built. This load was given to me by another poster at glocktalk.

My normal load is currently 5.3 grains. It's much a man, but POI is rather low out at 35 yards. I have built a few thousand of these after working up a little higher.

The highest load I have built was 5.6 grains. I built 10 each at 5.4, 5.5 and 5.6 grains to make sure I had some margin of safety with my auto disk. Even out to 5.6 grains I didn't see any case bulging. Even the 5.3 grain loads do scar a little around the case mouth. With the research I have done so far, I predict I am throwing the 170gr bullets between 1050 and 1100 FPS.

Test for yourself, these are just some loads I have played with.

I hope to get a chrony soon, and I'll test these out. Next I am going to work on some unique loads.

The only book I have showes 5.0 as max with 231 at about 1050. I think you are way over. Stop, get a good load manual, get a chrono, a powder scale and get rid of that Federal NT brass. The stuff has a rep for case head seperations.----------Larry

I made a mistake in my earlier post, the Federal FC brass had a case head seperation rep. I dont know anything about NT brass.-------------Larry

I have 6k worth of nickel speer to work through before I get back to them. But I'll take a close look when I do.

Serria shows for a 180 gr JHP 5.3 max and for a 165gr jhp 5.7 max. I am at the max for 180 and under on a 165. It doesn't cover 170 moly though. In fact, I have not been able to find much on 170 grain bullets, which is why I wanted to post what I have used.

Do not use load data for jacketed bullet with lead. Lead bullets are softer and thus seal the bore much better and pressures go up in a hurry. Precision bullets are lead bullets, coated but not jacketed. Winchester list a max load of 5.3 with a 170gr JHP. Your load is too hot. Do some research on pressure signs and get access to a chrono.--------Larry

I don't have a chronograph, but I have done some work and have a load I really like. Since it seems there are a few asking for recipes for Precision, here you go.

Gun is a Glock 22 with a lonewolf barrel and a few other mods (like 17lbs recoil spring)

Slowest load so far was 4.0grains of 231. I felt it was rather emasculated and didn't use it much past the 50 I built. This load was given to me by another poster at glocktalk.

My normal load is currently 5.3 grains. It's much a man, but POI is rather low out at 35 yards. I have built a few thousand of these after working up a little higher.

The highest load I have built was 5.6 grains. I built 10 each at 5.4, 5.5 and 5.6 grains to make sure I had some margin of safety with my auto disk. Even out to 5.6 grains I didn't see any case bulging. Even the 5.3 grain loads do scar a little around the case mouth. With the research I have done so far, I predict I am throwing the 170gr bullets between 1050 and 1100 FPS.

I hope to get a chrony soon, and I'll test these out. Next I am going to work on some unique loads.

All I can say is Infriggincredible.... :surprise: (Insert shaking head while backing away icon)

Slowest load so far was 4.0grains of 231. I felt it was rather emasculated and didn't use it much past the 50 I built. This load was given to me by another poster at glocktalk. (Not good)

I would think with a decent barrel / chamber you wont get ANY bulging of cases ..... until you go WAAAAAAY too far. I would be looking at the primers to see if they flatten out, or keep a rounded edge around them.

:surprise:

yep, my original reloading coach told me to take the minimum load, take the max load split the difference and have fun, your loads will function give decent performance and not cause any pressure problems.