Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

plastic grip flex

grandbagger

Yes it does matter... I doubt it affects accuracy but it most certainly affects dependability as a firm grip on some grips can prevent your mags from falling free. I just replaced a grip with another that was more heavily stippled and the second grip would not release a mag unless I consciously kept a loose grip while pressing the mag release button. Larry redid my original grip with the same heavy stipple and it worked great with no problems..... My experience leads me to believe that there is noticeable lot variations in the S_I grips and just because one may work set up a particular way does not mean the next will perform the same.

YMMV... :)

I dont think there is enough flex in the grips to affect accuracy or fuction of the pistol. There is a lot more give to the flesh in your hands than there is flex in the grips. Haveing said that, loose grip screws or a cracked grip can without question cause problems in the fuctioning of the pistol. Mags comeing out of the grip are another matter. I bought a used open gun once with grips thinned to the point that I could stop the mags falling out at will. As to the grips that Merlin spoke of above, I have watched Merlin shoot and I truly believe the man could choke an anvil to death.---------Larry

for mags not falling with a death grip like merlin, is it ok to file the inside of the grip?

Maybe, maybe not, might just get worse. I have seen new unaltered grips that need some blending inside, but it was very slight.-----------Larry

The armorer at a GSSF match last week was talking about the flex in a Glock and how shooting it off a rest will result in a different impact point versus unsupported freestyle. He recommended the rest when trying new bullets or powder loads for the better accuracy potential but to go unsupported before adjusting sights.

The armorer at a GSSF match last week was talking about the flex in a Glock and how shooting it off a rest will result in a different impact point versus unsupported freestyle. He recommended the rest when trying new bullets or powder loads for the better accuracy potential but to go unsupported before adjusting sights.

Just another reason to have an all metal pistol... :rolleyes:

Short story: Went to work on a grip thinning it out to prepare for a Scott grip texturing. Got a little crazy with the dremel and burned through the grip panel. Not willing to throw out an $80 grip, I rebuilt it with fiberglass strips and resin. When I got done it was a lot tougher with a lot less flex to it. I also have the death grip and can stop a mag from falling free at will. Not so any more on the new and improved grip.