Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Hate Fraud attempts in my online store

benos

It is childishly easy to mask an IP and location using a simple point and click program like PCMesh. When I browse without it, at some sites I get info that is pinpointed to my location. When I do run it, I get ads that are specific to anywhere but where I am located.

I do wear a white hat though, and hunting down asshats like this is my kind of game.

Sorry to hear that the evil of the world has reached this site...my one last completely safe harbor. :angry2:

If they would work as hard at a legit job, they could probably make some $$...

Well, first you have the lazy script kiddie. In which case nobody would pay them much for what skills they bring to the table.

Then you have the smart guys. The guys who make the tools the script kiddies use. They could probably make their money honestly, but then they'd have to put up with the workadayworld.

Then you have the REAL clever guys. They don't work in the legit jobs because the pay is better where they are. Organized crime wants in on the whole e-conomy. They are hiring, and the pay is good.

There's definitely a big arms race going on regarding organized crime. The cript kiddies are getting cut off form the newer exploits as crime rings go proprietary. If they keep it to themselves, they benefit longer and make more money. One of the things that has come of this is botnets that spam charities and the like with bogus charges. It's the new version of money laundering.. sorta.

It is childishly easy to mask an IP and location using a simple point and click program like PCMesh. When I browse without it, at some sites I get info that is pinpointed to my location. When I do run it, I get ads that are specific to anywhere but where I am located.

I do wear a white hat though, and hunting down asshats like this is my kind of game.

Sorry to hear that the evil of the world has reached this site...my one last completely safe harbor. :angry2:

That needs to be rephrased......Its childishly easy to THINK you are masking your IP......and there is nothing you can do client-side via software to mask your IP. Even with open/anon proxies you think there isnt a log?...LOL do not think for a second there isn't.

Thanks for all the feedback and support everyone.

I contacted Ntelos, and I emailed their fraud department a copy of one of the fraud orders.

And thanks to Rob Boudrie, I can now block an IP at the root level of the server, which will come in real handy now and then.

be

Since this discussion started I have been looking a bit more closley at my routers log files. Yesterday, my home router was probed on tcp ports 1026-28 and 7217. 1026-28 are identified as windows related ports and 7212 is associated with GhostSurf, an IP proxy. I was getting hit about every 5 minutes. The "sources" rotated from China, Australia and Canada. One of the source IPs was our buddies at 210.83.

They (He) are (is) everywhere!

Later,

Chuck

PS: I want my prairie dog back :(

Since this discussion started I have been looking a bit more closley at my routers log files. Yesterday, my home router was probed on tcp ports 1026-28 and 7217. 1026-28 are identified as windows related ports and 7212 is associated with GhostSurf, an IP proxy. I was getting hit about every 5 minutes. The "sources" rotated from China, Australia and Canada. One of the source IPs was our buddies at 210.83.

They (He) are (is) everywhere!

Later,

Chuck

PS: I want my prairie dog back :(

It happens many times on a daily basis, most dont think to look except when someone enlightens them on there troubles.....the thing about the 210.83 block is its more than likely an unsecured network and are hosts for various worms trying to do there dirty work... not 1 specific individual. You can blame there network admins for not doing there job on that one.