Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not Seeing Dot Lift Anymore

10ring

I had to lay off shooting matches for a few months this year due to a number of reasons. Job taking more time, gun getting fixed, outside remodel on house, family stuff. Now that I've got the open gun back from getting fixed, I've taken it out for a few practice sessions and feel like I've lost the touch. I'm just not able to follow the dot like I use to.

If you've experienced this sort of thing in the past can you recommend what worked for you to get the skills back? Was it an increase in live fire practice, dry fire practice, or both? Was it a matter of relaxing more? I feel like I'm pretty tense these days with more than average stress. Would this be the reason?

If I had to make a guess, I'd say you're trying too hard. When you shoot, just enjoy it. Elsewhere there's lots of suggestions on seeing the sights lift; the most common is aim at nothing, just watch the front sight (substitute your dot).

I'm a newbie myself - just parrotting what other guys say. :)

I'm also doing very little shooting [school] - still have 1000s of jhp bullets i bought at $54/k, if that gives you any idea...

Picked up some habits in dry-fire that didn't translate well to shooting matches, mostly relating to grip. I "fixed" a draw problem in dry-fire, using a grip that didn't return the dot worth a c**p while shooting. So... went back to the indoor range & as they said already, shot a bunch into the bullet trap, no target. Find what works for you, then draw into that grip, then mag change into that grip.

Rediscovered my "rabbit grip" which is the feel I have of surrounding the entire gun with all the fingers & both palms in a squeeze that's completely even. Wife had a couple rabbits for a while & that's the same grip I'd use to pick one up without it kicking loose AND without me breaking their bones. When I shoot the open gun with this grip, the dot returns to the Azone at 25 yards with no effort on my part. I'll look down at the split times & think WOW because it felt easy & slow.