Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Qualifier and ranking

Does anyone know the relationship between percentage of the qualifier and the ranking? I've just begun IPSC and am presently unqualified but was wodering roughly where I would be ranked.

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know the relationship between percentage of the qualifier and the ranking? I've just begun IPSC and am presently unqualified but was wodering roughly where I would be ranked.

Thanks for the help.

If I understand your question correctly, I was wondering the same...

Are "classifier" stage scores the only ones that get sent to the USPSA mother ship to factor into your classification? (So all the other stage hit factors/scores, percentages, etc., are only relevant to that match on that day?)

And am I correct in assuming that when it comes to the classifiers, the percentage that you get for that day's match (based on the scores of others shooting that same match) means very little to your USPSA classification, as it's based on the National percentage (all scores on file for that classifier stage), not the percentage of the day.

[in other words, you could win in your division, and thus have 100% for that stage, but when factored into the National results on file for that stage, you may be at 50%... ]

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for the help.

If I understand your question correctly, I was wondering the same...

Are "classifier" stage scores the only ones that get sent to the USPSA mother ship to factor into your classification? (So all the other stage hit factors/scores, percentages, etc., are only relevant to that match on that day?)

Yes, except major match scores (Nationals, Area matches, etc) can also be sent in and used-- there are some caveats around it, like the need for enough GM's and all, but they do show up.

And am I correct in assuming that when it comes to the classifiers, the percentage that you get for that day's match (based on the scores of others shooting that same match) means very little to your USPSA classification, as it's based on the National percentage (all scores on file for that classifier stage), not the percentage of the day.

[in other words, you could win in your division, and thus have 100% for that stage, but when factored into the National results on file for that stage, you may be at 50%... ]

Yup, unless whoever shot the 100% at the match is also a world-class shooter (or a few other rarer things happen like the HHF being way off), what you got at the match will be lower than what you get from USPSA.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think that is going to happen, sorry.

Winning a local match with 100% score is meaningless across the country.

Go to Arizona and shoot with the some of those guys and watch that percentage go away...

It can't be done, since you'd have to have a standard by which every course of fire could be judged, each course examined, etc. The only reason golf works that way is because they have the resources necessary to handicap every golf course in the country. THAT is only possible because golf courses change holes every few years, rather than every weekend, like local USPSA matches.

H.