Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty

I felt the dif when the slide came forward without a round being chambered. I was practicing tonight and felt the dif and then checked and sure enough the last round had been fired. I don't know if I would be able to tell in the heat of battle, but it's something to work on. I would prefer never to run the gun dry, but it would be nice to feel it before dropping the hammer on an empty chamber... anyway it's something I noticed for the first time and thought I would share it here.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I felt the dif when the slide came forward without a round being chambered. I was practicing tonight and felt the dif and then checked and sure enough the last round had been fired. I don't know if I would be able to tell in the heat of battle, but it's something to work on. I would prefer never to run the gun dry, but it would be nice to feel it before dropping the hammer on an empty chamber... anyway it's something I noticed for the first time and thought I would share it here.

JT

Jim, good stage planning and the awareness to reload if you blow your plan will keep the gun running. Things are just happening too fast to feel it shut empty when shooting a stage. You won't recognize it in time and will drop the hammer. The trigger should be prepping as it is closing and the press starting soon after it closes, my little pea brain doesn't keep track of that many things to feel it go empty. If your slide locks back you MIGHT catch it and start the reload fractionally earlier.

JT

Jim, good stage planning and the awareness to reload if you blow your plan will keep the gun running. Things are just happening too fast to feel it shut empty when shooting a stage. You won't recognize it in time and will drop the hammer. The trigger should be prepping as it is closing and the press starting soon after it closes, my little pea brain doesn't keep track of that many things to feel it go empty. If your slide locks back you MIGHT catch it and start the reload fractionally earlier.

Alas, my slide doesn't lock back........ I just thought it neat that my awareness was high enough to feel it and stop me before I dropped the hammer.

Alas, my slide doesn't lock back........ I just thought it neat that my awareness was high enough to feel it and stop me before I dropped the hammer.

It is a good sign that you have better awareness of what the gun is doing. :D

Just don't count on it during a match.

It is a good sign that you have better awareness of what the gun is doing. :D

Just don't count on it during a match.

Roger that.

Eventually, you'll be able to feel when you've stripped the last round (one in the pipe, none in the mag) and maybe when you just have a couple of rounds left in the mag, too. Its cool stuff. I agree - maybe don't count on it - but if you notice that mid-stage, you've really got the awareness turned up proper! :D

Eventually, you'll be able to feel when you've stripped the last round (one in the pipe, none in the mag) and maybe when you just have a couple of rounds left in the mag, too. Its cool stuff. I agree - maybe don't count on it - but if you notice that mid-stage, you've really got the awareness turned up proper! :D

:cheers:

That's a cool thing. Now that you experienced it you know that it (that level of awareness) exists. And if you don't notice it in match, I'd ask, why didn't I? You can train your awareness to where you will experience things in a match that you will never even have dreamed of.

be

That's a cool thing. Now that you experienced it you know that it (that level of awareness) exists. And if you don't notice it in match, I'd ask, why didn't I? You can train your awareness to where you will experience things in a match that you will never even have dreamed of.

be

Thanks Brian... I'll get there. ;)