Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Prices

lgbmike

I have been researching and thinking about going to open for some time now. I really like Brazos and the Bedell guns. There is one thing I cannot understand. Why does Brazos open 5" chrome custom cost $5300 and Bedell sells the same thing for $3000? Is there something I am missing? I would have to say that both guns will "drive tacks" and not "puke" on you during a match, so what gives.

Thanks,

Michael

I've seen Brazos guns, Benny guns, Bedell guns Dawson guns and the rest puke, you are not missing anything and I'll keep it at that.

I have been researching and thinking about going to open for some time now. I really like Brazos and the Bedell guns. There is one thing I cannot understand. Why does Brazos open 5" chrome custom cost $5300 and Bedell sells the same thing for $3000? Is there something I am missing? I would have to say that both guns will "drive tacks" and not "puke" on you during a match, so what gives.

Thanks,

Michael

I've seen Brazos guns, Benny guns, Bedell guns Dawson guns and the rest puke, you are not missing anything and I'll keep it at that.

Yep, and guess what even mine has puked on occasion. Like when my sons load my ammo and I get squibs or the wrong powder causing 195pf ammo. Most of the time it is ammo and magazine related although there are tmes that parts break and springs wear. There is nothing majical about any of them. The operator has to do their part while shooting, loading and maintaining.

Thanks,

Michael

Why does a stock car, off the showroom costs, let's say 30 G's and the same car will have cost you another 100 G's after it has been turned into a "race car"????? Of course depending on the skill of the mechanic (and the driver), it may win races or not.

As very often you see here the letters "YMMV", you can hopefully make some sense of the comparison.

The amount of labor and costs of material normally are the initial gages for final price. Additional "uniqueness" which will warrant countless hours of work can spike your final numbers. You will see some Open guns out there that are no more than an assembled and finished STI Open gun kit as available directly from the manufacturer, which may (or may not) function well and look reasonable, but you will ask: what is custom here, really? Competition shooters to some extent like and shop for some sort of "unique-ness" that will identify them, as if vicariously living and performing through their gunsmith's reputation. Almost like a peacock strutting their feathers ... :rolleyes: Nothing wrong with that, as this can be part of the reward gotten from engaging in this sport. It seems that part of that pride (for some) is making sure that every one knows they are carrying a "badge of honor", either by the name/signature of the maker, or the apparent quality of the workmanship. Sometimes this is secondary to the actual performance in the field, but often times the skill doesn't match it. Some people may even regard it as a "thing" between the "have's and have not's" ...

But there is no reason to despair at the sometimes disparity of prices. Frankly, what you pay for is usually what you get, even if it is only in appearance or recognition.