Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos Limited Slide With Elliptical Lightning Cut

RC51_Texas

I'm looking to buy a Brazos Limited slide with the elliptical lightning holes cut in the front and have it "fit" to an STI Frame. See the picture at Bob's Website:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Images/cslide.gif

In 40cal. (major power factor), does anyone see a potential for a problem like the slide cracking at or near the holes? Any comments/help/advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Since nobody has responded...

I don't have any experience with the Brazo's slide, but I don't recall hearing of any problems either.

I do know of quite a few shooters who run Major with a lightened slide. The lightening doesn't seem to be a problem...as long as the smith makes the proper cuts in the proper places. Brazos has been at it a while.

A friend of mine has one of Brazos limited guns with the slide lightened on a full dust cover frame. He has been shooting it for about a year now and has had no problems with the slide cracking. Another friend has the same slide except it is on a standard frame and eventhogh he doesn't shoot it much he hasn't had any problems either.

Thank you both for your replies. In reading the other post on slides cracking, I was concerned about this particular slide. It seems that Pistolsmith experience is key in this. I was going to have a local pistolsmith build my new limited with the Brazos slide, but I think that I'll have Bob build me this new Pistol on my STI frame. I just didn't want to wait 8 months for it to be completed!

RC51,

I posted some time ago that my gunsmith made lightening cuts on a "AMT Longslide/Hardballer" that I just decided to play with. After viewing the pictures of the piece that you indicated, it appears that the cuts are almost identical to those on my AMT. My AMT also has holes drilled along the sighting rib, and is lightened in the rear.

I have put about 1,000 rounds of 230 grain FMJ factory loads through the Hardballer, with no problems. Bear in mind that the Hardballer is not considered a high quality piece, and I am sure that your blaster will be of much higher quality. I would therefore assume that it would be allright. I also assume that there are many here on the board who are MUCH more qualified to give you advice on this than I.

Just sharing my experience in hopes that it will help you.

Good luck, Jeff B)

I think the cuts in the Brazos slide are elliptical specifically to prevent cracking. Typically, a crack will propagate from a sharp corner or other stress concentration.

Too bad Bob L. hasn't been on the board lately. I'm sure he'd alleviate your concerns. I'm actually interested in having the lightening treatment done to my existing STI.

I shoot with several people who use Brazo's Custom guns and have been shooting them for several years. No one has ever expressed any concerns with the slide's cracking. In fact they keep buying guns from Bob, I think that says it all.

As for having Londrigan build your gun rather than someone local, let Bob do it. I'd say his work is right up there with the best competition builders you can think of. He's meticulous and a solid GM. I've shot guns he's built and seen him shoot.

Both are impressive.

Al

I am with Al. RC51_Texas I just ordered a Brazos limited pistol and Bob takes his time to talks to you. He finds out what you or looking for and what you want to do with you pistol. I shoot with some people that have his pistols and or have no problems with them. Just call Brazos and talk to Bob.

I have not had any problems with slides cracking, and have been doing those types of cuts in slides (or similar ones) for 7 years now. I think proper barrel fitting does make a difference because there is less hammering when the gun locks and unlocks. I also spend time inspecting each slide before it ever gets cut - I reject quite a few for defects, after machining I roll all edges where cracks might start and remove all burrs.