Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 clean load

vipertech

I'm looking for a cleaner powder myself. I use a lot of Unique, but it is dirty. I use Unique to reload 45colt, 45acp, 44spcl, 38spcl. I've got Unique that's been around for several years. Is there a cleaner powder that I could switch over too?

Alliant reformulated Unique not very long ago, so you may find it somewhat cleaner burning now, than previous lots. I also find that the use of heavier crimp, magnum pistol primers, and loads on the warmer side tend to make Unique burn more cleanly for me. I don't own a .44Spl, but for the other 3 calibers I've had good success with IMR 700-X (VERY clean burning, whatever the power level of the load) and IMR PB (less clean-burning, but still very clean + EXTREMELY consistent velocities with low to mid-power loads in all 3 calibers).

I don't trust my memory enough to quote loading data, except for 5.2gr/IMR PB/225 TC or 230 LRN. This gives me 752 + 6 f/s (255gr. TC) from a SA National Match 1911A1. It is clean, accurate, reliable, and very very controllable. With the 225 grain cast truncated cone projectile, I seat it such that the shoulder is just barely visible above the case mouth, and taper crimp the loads with a redding taper crimp die (I don't recall the cartridge overall length). For the 230 LRN, I seat the bullet with the seating plug's position the same as that used for the 225gr cast TC, and taper crimp. The primers and cases used were Winchester LP (often called "semi-magnum" primers) and Federal brass (NOT nickled).

I hope you'll try this combination and tell me what results you obtain.

Also, I've never used it, but Alliant Red Dot (Clay Dot) is widely used among IDPA competitors in my corner of the world and they report that it is clean, consistent, economical, and almost as versatile as Unique. If, for some reason, I am no longer able to obtain 700-X or PB in the future, I'll probably go to Red Dot/Clay Dot unless it proves absolutely disappointing in actual use. CHECK A RELADING MANUAL, but 4.5/Red Dot/230LRN seems to be popular.

I hope you find this information of use.

Clays and WST here... my favorite load is 3.8gr of Clays under a 230gr Masterblasters moly bullet. Very clean, consistent, and no muzzle flash.

You will want to weigh your Masterblaster bullets, the last 230's that I got from them were 221gr. I emailed and asked what the deal was and they said that they shoot for 226 when they cast. A lot of variance with their alloy if they shoot for 226 on their 230's and end up at 221.

Another Happy Solo-1000 user, 4.6gr with a Precision 230gr Moly's consistantly gives me from 725fps to 735fps in my Goldcup. I've probably burned 15K of this recepie, and it's been the cleanest, sweetest shooting, major PF load I've ever used! I use it in my 12ga target loads too, so I buy the 25lb kegs from Trainer Haile!

Go River City Shooters!

Clays and WST here... my favorite load is 3.8gr of Clays under a 230gr Masterblasters moly bullet. Very clean, consistent, and no muzzle flash.

You will want to weigh your Masterblaster bullets, the last 230's that I got from them were 221gr. I emailed and asked what the deal was and they said that they shoot for 226 when they cast. A lot of variance with their alloy if they shoot for 226 on their 230's and end up at 221.

Edited by JDBraddy

Yep, I'm aware of it. And its not just MasterBlasters. I get the same off weights with LaserCast, and Precision as well. The MB 230s I have right now are all hitting around 224gr-225gr. Their 185gr SWC are actually pretty close though.

About the only pistol bullets that I have found to about nail weights across the whole lot are Sierra match bullets.

I use 4.7 gr VV310 under a 200gr. black bullet, makes major and is soft and real clean

Try 6.2grs N340 under a 185 grs copper plated lead HP with a WLP primer. In my experience all VV powders burn cleanly.

Dick

Browsing through this thread I noticed I made a big typo: It should be 7.2grs N340 with a copper plated lead HP

6.2grs N340 grs is what I use for 230grs hornady HP.

Regards,

Dick

• 1 year later...
I like the Sweeney and Bill Wilson load of 4.4 to 4.5 VV N310 w. 200 gr. Laser Cast SWC...Great Bullseye load and clean..

I shoot this same load ... I got it from one of Wilson's folks when I was working up a load to use in one one their pistols. I know it is pretty popular for shooting clean and straight. Any idea of the estimated velocity of this load out of a 5" 1911??? Thanks in advance.

3.8 - 4.0 grains of Clays under Zero 230 gr. FMJ - clean and accurate out of my guns. Just recently switched to lead for affordability reasons - now shoot 4.1 gr. Clays under Missouri Bullets 200 LSWC. Accurate and clean, only a little dirtier than the aforementioned load due to lead bullet & lube.

Edited by Jeff Matzka