Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Follower modification?

ks-shooter

I will preface this question by telling you that I am new to the STI/SV arena. I recently purchased my first open gun :mellow: (the picture on the left is what it looks like after Mr. Tripp made it beautiful :D ) and purchased brand new STI 140mm magazine tubes for 9mm/38 super and Grams follower kits (FKS-11) from Shooters Supply. I am using Dawson Precision bases. I put the parts together and I can load one round in the magazine :wacko: . The follower then hangs on the cut out on the left side of the mag. I assume, it is there to hold the slide open when the mag is empty. Now, I have heard of Magazine tuning, but shouldn't the parts go together and at least function without tuning or cutting :rolleyes: . I have not cut or bent anything yet. Am I doing something wrong, did I get the wrong parts or do magazines HAVE to be "tuned" to function?

Edited by ks-shooter

Well, I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I went and took a look. If I turn it 180, it will not even go to the top of the mag tube.

I am pretty sure it is correct. There is a tab on the follower that hangs up right on the tube cutout on the left. Thanks for the suggestion, but it appears I have it together correctly. There is a note on the kit, that says "Will work with .38, .40....etc...(SV mag tubes only). I wonder if there is a different kit for STI mags. :blink:

All the tubes are "slightly" differentt, you may need to take a file and lightly bevel/relieve that part of that follower so it will clear the cutout you mention. Thats fairly common. You can either change the tubes, or change the follower.

If you look at the bottom of the Grams follower it should say "Grams ST-SV" indicating it will work in both STI and SV mags.

What you read on the package about (SV mag tubes only) is pertaining to 9mm Major only, and refers to the fact that SV tubes generally use a regular Grams kit for 9Major, and STI tubes usually require spacers and special shorter 9mm followers (and has no bearing on the fit problem you are describing). If you are shooting .38 Super, disregard that statement, they will work fine, just knock off enough material of the followers side edge to clear.

All just my humble 2 cents, of course.

Edited by sfinney

STI tubes are really inconsistent out of the package, but at least one of the three should work.

Have you pressed the follower over slightly so it will go down and then loaded the mags. They will feed fine, but are a pain to load this way. It is an option if you don't know how to fix the tubes yourself.

Mr Grams follower works well but the inconsistency of the tube can create some issues as you have seen.

Do not cut or file any part of a Grams follower.

He sizes them to the smallest dimensions they can go, if you take any material off then you will allow a round to slip between the follwer and mag tube turning a loaded mag into a giant rattle and creating a failure to feed problem which will ruin your stage time.

The tube needed to be modified or just push the follower in as you load the first round, I have a mag that does this and runs just fine that way.

To reply to all who have offered assistance....sfinney....yes, I reread the insert and totally agree with your assessment that it should work.

HSMITH....yes, I can press it over (using a tool) and load more rounds and I am sure they will feed with no problem. I guess it amazes me that they sell these tubes for a good price, but they are "inconsistent", which I do believe they are. AZ38Super....again, I have not taken any material off the follower, but I am hesitant to bend the tube. No problem with ruining my stage time, I can do that without a mag malfunction.

I will talk to some of the open shooters where I do my shooting and see if they can recommend advice on the mag tube. Thanks to all of you for the assistance!! :cheers:

If you have a $50 part and $5 part that do not fit well together, you usually modify the $5 part. If you ruin the cheap part in the process you cane more easily afford to replace it. YMMV

I certainly understand your logic. Do you know anywhere to buy just the follower for $5? All I can find is to buy the "Kit" for $16.50 (okay, that is better than $50). I just have a hard time understanding why it is so difficult to put out a product that is consistent. Let's face it, a mag tube for $50 should be able to hit repeatable specs and still return a respectable profit margin to the manufacturer. I may try to bevel the lower portion of the follower so it "slides" past the mag notch easier, but that is probably as far as I will "whittle" on it unless I find a place to get just replacement followers. Thanks!!

I would start by removing the sharp edge from the bottom of the follower in the immediate area where you are having the problem. Try not to remove any material off of the side of follower or chage the dimensions beyond what is absolutly necessary to clear the slot.

Good luck and cut slowly.