Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack in ghost holster

elenius

Due in large part to all the positive experiences people here have had with the ghost holster, I tried it out for my Kimber (for L10). I have to say I'm disappointed. Even in fully locked mode, I can twist the gun 90 degrees forward! It's still locked, mind you, and there is some resistance, but it's giving me a wobbly, unsafe feeling. There are a couple of plastic set screws that the instruction sheet instructs you to back out for 1911s, so I did that, but it didn't help all that much.

Is there any "speed holster" that holds a single stack secure? Maybe I should stick with my DOH. My problem with that is that there's not enough space on the inside. My thumbs are too big.

I think I will see if Angus will take a return...

I tried the ghost also with my kimber L10 and never was comfortable. Always had my hand on the gun to make sure it didn't fall out. A CR speed adjusted properly is very safe. Or a kydex holster to be safer. Or you could get a STI/SVI to fit the holster ;) . I went with the last option :P .

I've used a Ghost with my L-10 Kimber for years now, then it was passd on to my wife.

The gun was totally secure with no problem at all.

This was an old style with the pin, but I've since tried the same gun in my new-style Ghost I use for my Limited Para with no problem. Both guns are rock solid when the holster is locked, and I have no fear of walking around with them unlocked (I don't typically do this though). Same thing goes for the Ghost I have for the Glock.

Not to sound rude or anything, but it might be a good idea to let someone familar with a Ghost set the holster up for you. If you feel like you have to hold onto the gun to keep it from falling out, then the holster isn't setup correctly. I guess the other option is you just aren't comfortable with a minimalist race holster, but I still say it should be checked out by someone who is familar with the Ghost.

Good luck.

I tried the ghost also with my kimber L10 and never was comfortable. Always had my hand on the gun to make sure it didn't fall out. A CR speed adjusted properly is very safe. Or a kydex holster to be safer. Or you could get a STI/SVI to fit the holster ;) . I went with the last option :P .

:rolleyes: Actually, they have a different model for S_Is.

Perhaps I should check out a CR Speed...

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the input.

:surprise: All this time i thought the model i had worked for both 1911 and 2011 frames. I'll make sure not to use the kimber in the ghost anymore. Though when i was using the ghost S_I model and kimber combo, i adjusted the 2 upper small white screws to prevent that 90 degree forward problem.

Thanks for the input.

:surprise: All this time i thought the model i had worked for both 1911 and 2011 frames. I'll make sure not to use the kimber in the ghost anymore. Though when i was using the ghost S_I model and kimber combo, i adjusted the 2 upper small white screws to prevent that 90 degree forward problem.

I did that, but it only helped to a certain degree. I can still do the 90 degree flip, there's just a bit more resistance.

Angus agreed to take it back for a refund, so I'm doing that.

The only three holsters that I can think of that will totally not do the 90 degree wiggle are the Hogue Powerspeed, using the muzzle cover (not the magnets) and the Safariland 012 or CR Speed with muzzle plugs. Kinda gets away from one of the plusses of the Ghost/Limcat/Ribas type holsters of being able to use one rig for two divisions (like Limited/Open) as long as your blasters have the same frame.

I gave up on the "race holsters", had one fall out and got DQ'd, they always felt like they were a little bump from falling out.

Blade-Tech DOH for me for Limited, Blade-Tech without the DOH for Single Stack.

These, with proper dry fire training WILL NOT slow you down, better draw machanics will result anyway.

I gave up on the "race holsters", had one fall out and got DQ'd, they always felt like they were a little bump from falling out.

Blade-Tech DOH for me for Limited, Blade-Tech without the DOH for Single Stack.

These, with proper dry fire training WILL NOT slow you down, better draw machanics will result anyway.

Yeah, I'll probably stick with my DOH.

BTW, anyone else have a problem with the screws between the belt slide and the DOH attachment coming loose? I lost one, of them before I noticed, had to call Bladetech to get a new one. I could locktite it, but then it won't be very easy to switch between single stack and l10 divisions by just removing the DOH attachment...