Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Open recoil springs

Jaxshooter

I am currently running a 9 lb recoil spring in my SV shorty with a Scheuman hybrid barrel with 3 holes and a 3 hole comp with 2 side ports. I am thinking about going to a 7 lb spring to give the slide more momentum. I am having a feed problem when I load more than 19 + 1 with SV 140mm mags with Grams 13 coil springs and a +2 Dawson base pad. Either the slide is slowed down by the top bullet in the mag when it is extracting because the slide dosen't have enough momentum or the spring in the mag pushes the bullet up to hard. What do you think?

Thanks

I think that going with a lighter recoil spring will reduce the energy available to force rounds out of the mags, not increase it. It will also make having fresh magazine springs very critical since the gun will cycle lightning quick.

I am currently running a 9 lb recoil spring in my SV shorty with a Scheuman hybrid barrel with 3 holes and a 3 hole comp with 2 side ports. I am thinking about going to a 7 lb spring to give the slide more momentum. I am having a feed problem when I load more than 19 + 1 with SV 140mm mags with Grams 13 coil springs and a +2 Dawson base pad. Either the slide is slowed down by the top bullet in the mag when it is extracting because the slide dosen't have enough momentum or the spring in the mag pushes the bullet up to hard. What do you think?

Thanks

Are you using a "full length" recoil system, including the slide "full stroke" ?????? or too many shock buffers that can shorten that cycling? Your choice of spring weight should be dictated by many reasons none of which should be feeding, if everything else is copacetic.

Trimmed the mag springs and changed the extractor from an AFTEC to the SV model made for the removable breech face slide. Had same problem before I changed the AFTEC. The SV extractor snatches them out without a problem. I don't use shock buffs.

Nope, sounds like excessive slide speed to me. Try a new 10-12 pound spring, and make sure the spring doesn't go solid before you shoot it.

I would agree... you also need that spring to help push the round into the chamber. I went to light and I would get the slide stopping just short of battery. I went to a 10 and no problems since. ;)

It is usually Venry's duty to cover the technical aspects but, since he is slacking, I will give it a try. ;)

The SV IMM has a slide that has been shortened, cut for the Hybricomp style barrel, and further lightened with cosmetic cuts. It also has a relativley short lightweight titanium comp. All of these items tend to make a gun cycle very fast, and going very light on the recoil spring speeds up the slide to the extreme. IMO, guns with heavy/large comps, particularly with full slides, can utilize the lighter springs to speed up sluggish cycle rates. Speeding up the cyclic rate is not usually something that a gun like the IMM needs.

I think your problem is your mag, may the top of your mag is too open that the bullet doesn´t be in the right place, try another mag. I have a short open gun and i use a recoil master that a modificate to fit well and no problem, buy the way i already shoot with 8lb and just to test with 6lb no problem.

Sorry about my english, i´m from Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the replys.

I finally got to the range and tried the gun with a 10 lb spring and it ran great. Dot is still tracking straight up and down and always visible. I also tried an 11 lb spring and it works even better. The gun cycles very fast still. The dot tracks better than before. It moves straight up and down with about an 1/8 th inch total movement.

I will go with the 11 lb. Again thanks for the help.