Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spin

ErikW

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.  All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism. It works the same in any country.

(left anonymous as an exercise for the reader)

The full quote FWIW:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Well, I don't need a quote from a Nazi to tell me I've been attacked. I was watching when the twin towers went down and I pay attention to what's going on in the world. I think the implication of this quote at this time is disrespectful both to the President, and the Armed Forces that are over there for us right now. No matter how you feel about the war that quote is irrelevant.

Why don't you just come out and say you don't approve of the war or Bush? Quoting a Nazi on trial for his life is way out of line.

No, I'd say "Somebody that we don't need to talk about on the SHOOTING forum" is a fallen angel, not a prophet.

Time for an Orwellian signature change...

Meanwhile, here's some Mark Twain for ya.

Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.