Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning left for a right hander

My buddy and I did a little experiment today with turning draws. I am a right handed shooter and I was .1 - .2 tenths faster turning to the left. This is also with having never practiced this way. I have practiced turning right a good amount but was still faster turning left. What are the pontential drawbacks of this besides getting the gun out too early on the turn.....which is a possibilty with both but I think maybe more so turning left. Turning left seems to be a more fluid motion than turning right. I have read plenty of threads on turning draws but have not seen turning left discussed. Any thoughts on this?

i spent alot of time on this many years ago and determined it's much faster to turn into your strong hand. snapping your head to the target yer engaging allows you to quickly get your torso moving towards that target, hence the draw from that side is more natural and i believe less movement to mount the gun. may be me, but YMMV.

If given the opportunity, I will always turn counterclockwise(I shoot right handed). I understand the dangers of drawing too soon but the inertia of the turn & the gun as it comes out of the holster, for me, makes the draw very smooth, first target acquisition is good & I just like it better. It screws me up if I ever shoot idpa & you have a turn draw. They force you to turn into your strong hand. There are obviously stages where this is impractical & most folks turn into their strong hand so I'm sure I'm in the minority. It works for me, though, so until someone comes up with a better reason than it seems to be easier to draw early, I will continue to do so. Do what works best for you! MLM

i spent alot of time on this many years ago and determined it's much faster to turn into your strong hand. snapping your head to the target yer engaging allows you to quickly get your torso moving towards that target, hence the draw from that side is more natural and i believe less movement to mount the gun. may be me, but YMMV.

+1. If turning into the gun is more efficient. Like outerlimits said, it's really important to snap your head around and find the exact spot on the target as quickly as possible upon the buzzer. This sets the stage for the rest. When done properly, pivoting around your strong leg allows the pistol to come straight up out of the holster and straight to the target - just like if you drew on the target without turning. Another technical advantage of turning into the gun is that you can "go for the gun" (begin the draw) immediately upon the buzzer. Done properly, turning into the gun is a very compact, efficient movement. And it's also much safer. Because if you're all juiced up in a match, and you're turning away from the gun, it's easier to loose track of what's actually happening and "sweep the RO." ;)

be

Turning into the gun also means you are turning into your off hand. Turning away from the gun means that your off hand is chasing the gun to obtain your grip. This is quite similar to a reload...chasing the gun leads to difficulties.

Personally, I do not find a difference. You can still pivot on the same leg and it's the same distance turning either way. I do either way, depending on where the first target is. Standards and classifiers really doesn't matter.